Thread: Overalls Fit

Default Overalls Fit

I thought about adding onto the existing Overalls thread, but feel like this topic is different enough to warrant its own discussion.

I love overalls. Ever since I was a kid, I have enjoyed them. I can remember being heavenly fascinated in middle school, and would draw my ideal pair. I even had a pair as teen, but was too shy to wear it in public. I enjoy the sight of them as a sexual stimulant and as a comfort clothing article. I guess my relationship with this fetish is complicated.

Recently, in the past six months, I have been buying them online.

But I don't enjoy the style of many overalls, because I am used to wearing a low-rise style of jeans. I like my bottoms to start at about 2 inches below my belly button. They are very comfortable that way.

I have one pair of Gap overalls that sits there. My Osh Kosh pairs are somewhat close, but an inch or two above where I like it.

I am constantly looking for a pair that fits these characteristics. I think I have identified a few characteristics: larger bib, longer brace.

I think those characteristics will produce the fit I want.
    Those are my primary prerequisites for the perfect pair.
    Secondary ones are those that I can bring to a tailor to fix:
    tightening the pants width, shortening the crotch length, going for colors like black or rust.

i do know key overalls are a bit longer than most in the bib and whatnot, honestly all i have to say is take a look around, there are quite a few companies out there that still sell jean bib overalls which would be easy to modify because they can just be dyed. or even if you're adventurous you can take a look at womens overalls because those might fit the bill as well

Quote Originally Posted by Roec View Post

I love overalls. Ever since I was a kid, I have enjoyed them. I can remember being heavenly fascinated in middle school, and would draw my ideal pair. I even had a pair as teen, but was too shy to wear it in public. I enjoy the sight of them as a sexual stimulant and as a comfort clothing article. I guess my relationship with this fetish is complicated.
    THIS. Describes me almost exactly, but I would wear mine in public underneath a hoodie during the winter, and sometimes under regular shirts. Can't help you as far as the fit problem though; I think I like the opposite characteristics as you... Plus, I haven't really tried that many different kinds, only Liberty and Pointer brand.

Quote Originally Posted by billythemountain View Post
    THIS. Describes me almost exactly, but I would wear mine in public underneath a hoodie during the winter, and sometimes under regular shirts. Can't help you as far as the fit problem though; I think I like the opposite characteristics as you... Plus, I haven't really tried that many different kinds, only Liberty and Pointer brand.
    Well, since I started buying them again, these past few months, I have been wearing the gap pair underneath a zippered hoodie. I even pressed the courage to not wear the hoodie when I went on errands once. Daring! hah.

I own three pairs of osh kosh (two of those I am selling eBay soon), one pair of Gap, one pair of Dickies, and one pair real work wear.

I have tried two types of black dye. The first, a powder by a British company called Dylon. I only used two packets, and it turned the jean a dark, nearly black blue. The second dye is a liquid called Rit. They both dye to about the same tint: blue. I haven't done much research into different dye pigments and tints, but I am sure there are commercial blacks that have a grey tint or something similar.

I have looked at a few pairs of Key overalls. I was thinking of buying a pair and seeing the fit. They looked nice, but I have to wait for them to appear on eBay.
    It is tough to find my size on eBay. I have to wait for a 30x30, or maybe a 32x30. Even then, I only bid on items that are for cheap. My income is limited as a student, so I have to also think about the next step in purchasing the pair: what alterations they need and whether or not it needs to be dyed. I actually just bought a pair of rust corduroy osh kosh overalls, but they are 29x32! Normally I would not think twice, because that is not my size; however, I have noticed that my osh kosh overalls fit a bit looser than its listed size, so I am taking a big risk.

I bought a pair of women's overalls once. They did not fit well. I think the fit will be wrong for two reasons: they generally have a wider hip, and women's waists are higher, so those overalls should sit on my waist. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roec View Post
    Well, since I started buying them again, these past few months, I have been wearing the gap pair underneath a zippered hoodie. I even pressed the courage to not wear the hoodie when I went on errands once. Daring! hah.

I own three pairs of osh kosh (two of those I am selling eBay soon), one pair of Gap, one pair of Dickies, and one pair real work wear.

I have tried two types of black dye. The first, a powder by a British company called Dylon. I only used two packets, and it turned the jean a dark, nearly black blue. The second dye is a liquid called Rit. They both dye to about the same tint: blue. I haven't done much research into different dye pigments and tints, but I am sure there are commercial blacks that have a grey tint or something similar.

I have looked at a few pairs of Key overalls. I was thinking of buying a pair and seeing the fit. They looked nice, but I have to wait for them to appear on eBay.
    It is tough to find my size on eBay. I have to wait for a 30x30, or maybe a 32x30. Even then, I only bid on items that are for cheap. My income is limited as a student, so I have to also think about the next step in purchasing the pair: what alterations they need and whether or not it needs to be dyed. I actually just bought a pair of rust corduroy osh kosh overalls, but they are 29x32! Normally I would not think twice, because that is not my size; however, I have noticed that my osh kosh overalls fit a bit looser than its listed size, so I am taking a big risk.

I bought a pair of women's overalls once. They did not fit well. I think the fit will be wrong for two reasons: they generally have a wider hip, and women's waists are higher, so those overalls should sit on my waist. Right?
    There is actually something I like about secretly wearing them in public. It's nice with zippered hoodies cause you can unzip them a bit just to have a tiny bit of the bib visible. I think it's a good look. Near where I live, it's not too uncommon to see people wearing them as work/everyday clothes, but it's usually a certain kind of person. That made it a bit easier for me to just wear them normally every now and then when out doing errands or whatever. Once, one of my apartment managers saw me and said how much she liked them. I guess as long as you play it cool and act like it's nothing people won't care as much; if anything these days they'll just assume you're some kind of hipster.

I also see you do a lot of your own alterations...I wouldn't even know where to start on all that. Cool stuff.

roec yeah i think youd have trouble with the womens because the waist area starts i believe above the bellybutton, i know it does on the one pair i have. also you guys are silly for being afraid to wear them in public, heck i have a pair of hicory stripe engineer type overalls and i wear those in public with nothing hiding them. i do get a strange look or two from time to time but its exhilarating

Have you ever tryed carhartt overalls I own 2pairs of those and there the best I've ever had I wear them almost eveveryday to the machine shop even Levis jeans get torn up there in no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersonly View Post
    Have you ever tryed carhartt overalls I own 2pairs of those and there the best I've ever had I wear them almost eveveryday to the machine shop even Levis jeans get torn up there in no time at all.
    You know, I looked at many pairs of carhartt overalls. Some were being sold for good prices, but I don't like the buckle. That crunched look. I like the elongated structure of a traditional buckle.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

@billythemountain
    Don't get me wrong, I don't do the actual alterations. I bring it to my dry cleaner. She charges $15 to alter the legs so they are narrower. I don't particularly like baggy pants. Too much fabric! hah. I haven't tried Liberty or Pointer. What do you think about them? Their fit? Look?

I have tried the Tommy Hilfiger when I was younger and didn't like the look of them. I don't like the coloring on the straps and giant label on the big.

@LittleAyria
    One of my Osh Kosh pairs was an engineering striped pair. Originally one and blue, I dyed it near black! Actually, I dyed it twice. The first time I didn't use enough dye and it turned the base dark blue and the stripes a weird brown green. It was actually pretty cool looking. But I wanted it to be blacker, so I just redyed it with extra dye and it is nearly black now. I can make out the stripes, but they are not too noticeable.

Pointer brand is very traditional. What I like about them is that it's got a single pocket bib instead of having all sorts of pockets. The Liberty brand is just the standard Wal-mart brand that I got cause I just wanted SOMETHING. There's nothing wrong with them, but nothing really special either.

Quote Originally Posted by billythemountain View Post
    Pointer brand is very traditional. What I like about them is that it's got a single pocket bib instead of having all sorts of pockets. The Liberty brand is just the standard Wal-mart brand that I got cause I just wanted SOMETHING. There's nothing wrong with them, but nothing really special either.
    I see. I remember looking at the wall mart varieties, and decided against them, because they look like amorphous slabs of cloth stitched together. No offense to your purchase of course. I don't think they were the right for what I wanted. And like you said, they were nothing special.