Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IC and Hospital operation

Talking IC and Hospital operation

Next week I am going into hospital for major orthopaedic surgery. I am IC and wear 24/7 at the moment. I am also under investigation for IC at the same hospital. I had my pre-op assessment yesterday and told the nurse about my IC and need for pads / diapers.

The nurse was really nice and said....

I will need to bring my own supplies in

Unless I can definitely not change myself the nursing staff will only do it as part of wash and cleanness routines

I must not be embarrassed about the situation when I come in for the operation.

Have anyone else had a hospital stay while diapered? How did you get on?

What was your experience?

I have had an incontinent problem ( both bladder & bowel) when I was hospitalized for 5 weeks due to severe infection in my leg. During this hospital stay, I was initially catheterized but after a mild UTI they removed it and just put me in diapers. The high power antibiotics cause my to have even less control of my bowels then normal ( normally have a poop accident once or twice a week!). The nurses and aids were very good about changing me with a great deal of care and understanding. When you are in a hospital under the circumstances that I was, you lose all sense of modesty because you are having bandages changed, or medication administered. One time, I was out of it for almost a week. I can only imagine how many of the hospital staff saw me in all my naked glory, but since I was not awake I guess I will never know.

One thing to be aware of is that they will generally be filling you with fluid for several days following any procedure. This will lead to some incontinence when coupled with the pain killers they give you.

At any rate, in general, the nurses and support staffs that I have come in contact with have been very compassionate and understanding. The reality of it is that the staff would rather help you with a simple diaper change then have to change the bed linen several times per day.

I have spent approximately 6 months in the hospital or nursing home in the last 3 years due to the impact of infection that could not be controlled. As I recall, I was operated on at least 30 times during this period.

Good luck and just be patient -- and stick up for your rights -- no one else will.

You should be happy you can bring in your own supplies - hospital nappies are really rubbish

In other places there has been some discussion about the "right" of hospitals to catheterise patients if it is not neccesary for medical reasons. There are dangers in this (perhaps sometimes over-emphasised) but the big issue is that of patient choice. It may be more convenient to be cathed, but as the OP is being offered the option of bringing their own pads in with htem, it looks as if they have an option that is not offered to everyone.

Most hospitals will just put a catheter in unless there is a long history of UTI's. I had an knee operation many years ago and they had me use a catheter during my stay. For the staff, they are easier to deal with than diapers.

So far I haven't had to spend the night in the hospital since I have become IC but have had many procedures done at the hospital and clinics. During all the procedures I was able to wear my diapers. The last time I went to my urologist it was put in my medical records that Foley catheters are not to be used. They cause me more pain and problems then what good they are. I did have a nurse ask how they would handle this if I had surgery and I told her that as long as I am out, they could use one but once awake it would have to come out.

Some of the procedures I had done, the nurses had to help change me and they were very professional about it. I always take my supplies because I don't want to take chances on what they may or may not have. As long as I can change myself I always make sure I can. But I know if I can't do it, they will help.

For the first few days I was in ICU I was cath'd with a cheap yellow diaper on over it that seemed more for BM than urine because the line going to the bag pulled the inside leg away giving no seal whatsoever. After that I was in a regular room and asked if I could do without the cath because it was more painful than just the diapers. My Uncle told them I could use mine but without the cath. At first they didn't agree, but after a making a big deal out of it (the cath was really starting to hurt for some reason) they said OK. That lasted a day then I saw they were pretty much wasting them so I asked to go back to theirs. After a couple more days I could do it on my own well enough and could change wet ones but they still helped with the others.

Toward the end when I could change myself (which meant they wouldn't have to anymore) and still make it to the bathroom I was on my own. As often as they were coming in poking and prodding and medicating various areas it just wasn't worth it to use mine while I was there. Get this.. for those ultra cheap, wafer thin wannabe diapers they billed me about $23 each!! **$1,380 for incontinence pads!!!!** It wasn't until I saw that I wished I had just stayed with mine. (I figured 5 changes a day because they wouldn't say the each price) You would freak if you saw the 12 day bill I owe and no insurance.

Frank - that musta been one heck of an infection! I had severe sepsis and was out in 12 with a few more weeks bedfast at home. (We got outta there as soon as we could.) That doesn't include the ER visit there 4 days before I was admitted. That bill alone for 5 hours in there was over $3,000.

Kit -- On several occasions during this adventure, the doctors told me and my wife that they might have to take my leg since the infection continued to travel up to my groin area. They told me that the infection was caused by several different bacteria and thus made it difficult to attack. I was treated with massive amounts of IV antibiotics and then surgery to remove dead and damaged tissue. It was not any fun !! But I managed to survive with my leg still attached. I have so many skin grafts and scars on my leg that I look like a football player who has had every ligament and tendon operated on.

oooh dang! I am glad you got to save your leg tho no matter what it looks like.

Yeah, my wife went through six years with she and me trying to save her leg. She has Charcot bone degeneration in both feet, and got MRSA from a doctor's visit in the one foot. I think all the Vancomyacin helped to destroy her kidneys. After six years her foot is finally healed, but we do home dialysis five nights a week. She never suffered any incontinence, but she had a potty chair in the bedroom for awhile because she couldn't put any weight on her infected foot. In fact, it had a wound vac on it, several different times.

When I had my back surgery years ago, I had a catheter after the surgery. I had just the opposite problem and couldn't pee, so I had to learn how to catheterize myself before they would discharge me. I catheterized myself four times a day for more than a month before the ability to urinate finally kicked in. Needless to say, I was very relieved.