Thread: Stereotyping

Default Stereotyping

It really pisses me off when people stereotype. Everybody is unique. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I have a High pitched voice. My voice isn't deep, but nor is it high. Also, I don't only listen to pop and music like that. I also listen, and prefer, hard rock/metal/screamo/techno. I like Alesana, Asking Alexandria, Avenged sevenfold, BOTDF, Blavk Veil Brides. Bands like that. I also don't do the "heeeeeeeey" thing, either. And I do NOT like to "bottom". Just venting guys, sorry >.>

Stereotypes don't just crop up out of nowhere, for no reason. There's usually statistical basis or reasoning behind most of them.

But when people assume I'm a straight-edge punk because Rise Against is my favorite band, that's a bit annoying.

Yeah, and people stereotype me as a nerd in a lot of ways but I also am a mild jock as well. I also get judged as someone with AS, but I have busted a lot of stereotypes in my day being my own person. That's all that matters to me, busting the stereotypes and being my own personality.

WildThing121675

In an odd way, I don't mind stereotypes.
    Everyone who knows me - and indeed most who meet me - always remark on how far removed I am from the gay stereotype.
    This makes me different It makes me, much like WildThing said before me, my own person.
    As a result, in many different ways, I fit neither the 'straight' crowd or the 'gay' crowd and am just taken as unique.

On the whole, though, I agree. Everyone knows stereotypes are bad, but most people can't help but use them. It's a sad truth, too, that like someone else also said before me, they do arise from some kind of evidence and recurring example; they are based in truth in some way or other.

I am one of those who enjoy challenging stereotypes but unfortunately, there are less of us than there are those who fit - and indeed serve only to fuel - the stereotype. In short, I can't see them ever really dying, in most cases at least.

Supersam1223

Stereotyping is so fucking annoying! I get called an emo every day and people say I love death; just because I like listening to metal, and am a little depressed.

It is so annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneHeart View Post
    It really pisses me off when people stereotype. Everybody is unique. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I have a High pitched voice. My voice isn't deep, but nor is it high. Also, I don't only listen to pop and music like that. I also listen, and prefer, hard rock/metal/screamo/techno. I like Alesana, Asking Alexandria, Avenged sevenfold, BOTDF, Blavk Veil Brides. Bands like that. I also don't do the "heeeeeeeey" thing, either. And I do NOT like to "bottom". Just venting guys, sorry >.>
    Agree especially with the gay thing. It annoys me soo much.

*cuddle*

Stereotypes are strange. Back in the 80's even bodybuilding was labeled as gay to the point where they had to 'un-label' it as such in movies like 'Pumping Iron'. This dance is all about the gay stereotype: The YES dance - YouTube

I have to say this OP everyone is not "unique" that people are bought up from a young age in modern western society to think that everyone is unique would be the more apt description. The Chinese have a wonderful phrase that essentially says even if you are 1 in one million there are 10,000 just like you.

Stereotypes are rude and often crude sometimes hurtful and almost always unnecessary but each contain a grain of truth to them.