Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes you a good person, what qualifies as a good life?

Default What makes you a good person, what qualifies as a good life?

This topic should mostly be about existentialism in general.

So, what do you think makes a person Good. What do you think a good life is formed of? Reasons can be personal or general.

(Edit: think I messed up on the right word on "qualifys" on the title.)

What makes a person good....

That answer is going to vary from person to person.

I personally Dont believe people can be strictly Good or Bad, you cant really judge someone on that scale.

I like this concept a lot - gets the deep side of my mind grinding into gear.

I think people can be good or bad, and I think it falls on both sides of the nature/nurture argument. I think where the 'bad' is concerned, some people just have it in them - as part of their psyche and personality - and some people have it instilled in them through parents, upbringing and their general environment. Since there are various examples of people suffering such circumstances and not succumbing to that misery, I feel it still lies in the person as to how they ultimately develop.

I think what makes a person 'good' - in perhaps general society's view - are things like kindness, acceptance, tolerance and consideration for others. In short, selflessness. Traits like these play a part in almost every aspect of day-to-day life and when paired with things like warmth, honesty and dependability, nobody can deny this person is a 'good' person. It's true, though, that it is subjective, based more on what other people like or expect in a person.

That is probably also true of what constitutes a 'good life'. My idea of a 'good life' centres on what I would need to be happy and what meets my definition of success. I'd hazard a guess, though, that many people would desire some form of wealth, good health, being surrounded by a loving family and, perhaps, a decent job.

I shall watch this thread with interest!

"What makes you a good person?"
    Morals and Resilience in life. Let's say if I know something is wrong that I can put right, my morals come into question. By doing what I believe in my heart and head is right, that makes me a good person. To know deep within myself that whatever it is in question is wrong, but I choose not to put it right when I could, that does not make me a good person. Obviously I fall short of the mark in that sense at times, but there's a big difference between, for example, telling a little lie about... say covering myself when I'm going to buy diapers... and preventing harm to someone mentally or physically where I know I have the power to prevent it.
    I always try to be honest with myself and with those around me.

"What qualifies a good life?"
    This is more difficult. I've been to countries where a I couldn't imagine the people have 'good' lives. In India, for example, I visited some of the worst slums in the city of Chennai when I was 18 - the age when I was all about getting my new car, getting a great degree in uni, and just trying to be what I could be to have what I thought would bring me a "good life" - but the people there didn't need any of that. They were poor, they didn't live well compared to us in the West... but they were content, and they were happy; just because they were given life with family, friends and people around them who care about them. Some even found comfort in faith as well. But their lifestyle made no difference to them, and it's because they had no experience of any better.
    This isn't a sob story folks - this is life. It's happening now, but to them, they've got all they need to live a good life.
    So I would maybe say that having people who love us, or rather knowing - and feeling content in the knowledge - that there are people care for us... for me, I have a good life because I have that.

Bottom line... to have life is to have a good life.
    And I couldn't care less if you disagree.

I'm sure there's a lot more that constitutes either of those, but I could be here all night.
    Maybe I'll continue tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    What makes a person good....

That answer is going to vary from person to person.

I personally Dont believe people can be strictly Good or Bad, you cant really judge someone on that scale.
    that's the point, to get everyone's thoughts on it since they are likely vast.

A good person is defined by our culture, each culture having its own set of criteria. Ours is based in standard Christian/Judeo history. We are taught to love others more than ourselves, that giving is better than receiving, and that others have the same feelings as ourselves. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I think these values still work, especially in a day where these moral values are being eroded.

We see too often those seeking happiness through power and acquisition of wealth. They will step on and over anyone to achieve these ends. We especially see it on the political scene. We lead and inspire by example, for good or bad.

As for myself, I have always valued helping others over my own personal gain. Because of that I have never made a lot of money, but I am respected in my circle of friends. In my school, teachers request me in their classroom, and students come to me when they are having a hard time. They trust me, because they know I care about them. It is better to aspire to be a kind, loving and giving person. It's not always easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    This topic should mostly be about existentialism in general.
    So, what do you think makes a person Good. What do you think a good life is formed of? Reasons can be personal or general.
    simply put, and for both questions: when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

What makes me good(ish) is that I try to see the best in people. It's rarely easy, but I try to simply not judge people because I don't know everything about that person. I don't know the whole picture, and who am I to judge them? Also I try to not stay angry at people either; The best revenge against your enemies is to lead a happy life.

A loving person is a good person. By being a loving person I mean being forgiving, not gossiping, being concerned for other people's well-being, etc.

Edit: Oh, I'm curious what Fire2box's answer is!

As stated in my signature, I think that a morally ideal action would be one that maximizes the happiness output for all people in existence. Some implications:

-As long as you don't hurt anybody or anything else with it, it's okay to do whatever you like that makes you happier.
    -Altruism is generally a good thing, unless you're damaging more people than you help.
    -Destroying the environment is a bad thing, because humankind in general will also feel the consequences of that if it doesn't stop.

Generally, I think that the purpose of life is to be happy, and we should live to make that possible for ourselves and for others around us.

I determine what makes me "Good". And how do you define the word "Good" anyway? What is "Good" to one person could be "Bad" to another....