Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Fursuits. Do it yourself or commissioning?

  1. #1

    Default Fursuits. Do it yourself or commissioning?

    I don't have a fursuit yet, but would really like to have one (big surprise...).
    The question is, should I build one myself or try get one by commissioning?!
    I am sure some you are competent builders, maybe you could give an idea about how difficult it is get started.

    I don't have much confidence in my sewing skills though, and the prospect of having paid a fortune for faux fur, ending up with a half-completed suit kind'a discourage me from doing it.

    Somehow I still find it the idea of making a suit myself very much appealing, but maybe it would be a bad idea, to let my first suit depend on my (unknown) sewing skills.
    What do you say to all this?

  2. #2

    Default

    Why don't you try with some small pieces... Like make a partial. Perhaps you can learn to make a tail and some ears, or even feet. Then if you feel confident you can try making your own suit? I've made a partial before and it was lots of fun! ^^

    Here's a video on how to make some feet that is very descriptive and helpful, and another to make some hand/paws! Hope I helped~

    Part 1

    Part 2

  3. #3

    Default

    I have the crafting skill of a toaster. So I commissioned a suit. It all depends on how motivated you are to complete it, how much time do you want to take to learn the required skills? Are you prepared for a disappointment if you fail? Would you be willing to keep trying?

    Some people can pull off awesome first suits.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm in agreement with Mandy, the best way to go is to do it yourself the first time. There's sewing patterns (wet suit is a great one) that make it incredibly easy. Also, make it out of the cheapest fur possible. By doing one yourself first, you can find out what your ideal is not matching the outcome... this will help ensure that when you DO do a commission, it'll be far closer to what you're after =) GOOD LUCK!

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    Why don't you try with some small pieces... Like make a partial. Perhaps you can learn to make a tail and some ears, or even feet. Then if you feel confident you can try making your own suit? I've made a partial before and it was lots of fun!
    Making a partial suit seems to be a good place to start. But the bodypart do not worry my that much, actually. I am much more concerned about making the head. Basically I don't know which method to go for, and what to expect from the end result.
    What does the surface feel like? Is it soft/hard/m.hard? how sturdy is the construction? how well does it fit to your head? How is the head like on the inside?

    Thanks for the video links btw.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Lagon View Post
    Making a partial suit seems to be a good place to start. But the bodypart do not worry my that much, actually. I am much more concerned about making the head. Basically I don't know which method to go for, and what to expect from the end result.
    What does the surface feel like? Is it soft/hard/m.hard? how sturdy is the construction? how well does it fit to your head? How is the head like on the inside?

    Thanks for the video links btw.
    Either method is great, I prefer all foam base, then wear a balaclava underneath so you can wash it, then not all the sweat will soak into your suit. But my suit was made on a balaclava, the outside is soft but the construction is firm, meaning the head will not squish from weight being put on it. (don't put weight on your head) The inside should fit snug, but make sure it is not squeezing your head or is pressing too much on your nose as t will become very uncomfortable. But you also don't want the suit to be moving around and flopping all over the place, most of all you don't want your head to come off if your doing fursuit games or something of the sort.

    The eyesight is the most important thing in your suit, so when you make your suit don't skimp out on the eyes.

    Either method is going to get you the same result, It all depends on what you are more comfortable working with. Most importantly take your time, don't take shortcuts and don't just say "it's good enough"

    Hope this helps, any other questions just ask. I will try to give as best of details as possible.

  7. #7

    Default

    I made a suit for a class, and it was quite the challenge. It didn't turn out BAD, and I can say that i've made a suit. But quite honestly, I took that suit to one con because my friends wanted to see it, and he will likely never see the light of day again, way too ugly(even though it was WAY better than quite a lot of homemade suits that are out and about these days.

    </FursuitSnob>

  8. #8

    Default

    Okay. Going for the all foam approach (and including a balaclava) what density should the foam have? I know that much, that I should go for upholstery foam (as used i mattresses).

  9. #9

    Default

    Really can't go wrong with density. The medium density standard polyurethane foam is fine (that off-white/cream foam usually available at JoAnns). Once you did a head or two with the cheaper foam, I'd recommend going with an open cell reticulated foam. It's very rigid so can support the weight of the fur, but breathes. This you will usually have to order online. I use it in my body suits and it makes all the difference in the world. In heads, it's even more obvious a difference. =) Good luck!

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Petorawolf View Post
    Really can't go wrong with density. The medium density standard polyurethane foam is fine (that off-white/cream foam usually available at JoAnns). Once you did a head or two with the cheaper foam, I'd recommend going with an open cell reticulated foam. It's very rigid so can support the weight of the fur, but breathes. This you will usually have to order online. I use it in my body suits and it makes all the difference in the world. In heads, it's even more obvious a difference. =) Good luck!
    So what you're saying is, if I get it correctly: practice making 1 maybe 2 fursuit head bases using polyurethane foam, then use more expensive open cell reticulated foam for the final product (?)

Similar Threads

  1. Diapers Under Fursuits
    By ScienceDog in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2010, 14:44
  2. XBox Avatar fursuits!
    By KaworuVsDrWily in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2010, 04:47
  3. fursuits?
    By ZakRoo in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2010, 20:42
  4. Fursuits
    By MarcusBear in forum Babyfur / Diaperfur
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2008, 07:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.