Thread: Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster

Default Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster

Today, one of the worst air disaster in sports history occurred. A Yak-42 plane crashed soon after liftoff near the Russian city of Yaroslavl, killing 43 of the 45 occupants (the two survivors are in critical condition). The majority of the players of the KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey team died in the crash.

Sombre day for hockey fans everywhere, and a devastating day for Russian hockey.

I heard about that on Sky Sports. So sad I'm sorry to hear about it. They will be missed x

This is a very tragic event... Many good, young players died. They had their whole lives ahead of them. Also, of course, Brad McCrimmon (whom I am especially sad died due to his years as a Thrashers assistant coach), will sadly never live out his dream of becoming an NHL head coach. Yet, most of all, though, this brings to mind something that many sports fans, myself included, tend to forget: these are people. They have lives, families, loved ones. Souls. While it is easy to hate players for opposing teams, events like this remind me that they are more than just entertainment. They are human. They will be missed and mourned by all who loved them. May they rest in peace.

Wow.... I do not follow Hockey or care anything about the sport whatsoever. But regardless of who was on the plane, this is very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of their family and friends and even the fans who are affected.

tragic that anyone would loose their life in such a way. I saw it on yahoo news after checking my yahoo mail.

I read about this today on Comcast news. It's a horrible tragedy. You always have to remember their loved ones and families. It reminded me when the Marshal University football team died in an air crash. It took the college years to recover.

I can't believe it- not just that this is such a terrible tragedy, but they're people you don't expect to die. I remember when NYR won the cup with Alex Karpovtsev. I remember wondering how Rachunek would look when he debuted after the lockout, and watching him fizzle. I remember talking to friends for so much time about whether Jan Marek would cross the Atlantic to come to the NHL. I remember watching the Blues fizzle when they offloaded Pavol Demitra. Salei... Vasicek... goddamnit, these people shouldn't be dead. Marek just saw his first son born two weeks ago.

This hits me hard, having once lived in St. Louis & being a Blues fan!! I loved to see Pavol Demitra play & was saddened when they let him go, but this is even worse news!! My heart goes out to the families of those who lost loved ones in this tragic event!! It has seemed like every week, during the NHL off-season, a current or a former player has died suddenly!! To those teams & to their families as well, my heart goes out to them too!!

People dying in traffic-related accidents seems so pointless mostly because the accidents are a result of avoidable mistakes. My heart's with the families of the victims regardless if it's a group of famous ice hockey players, the top politicians of Poland, or a plane full of Ivan Ivanovitchces.

This morning's newspaper had a list of airlines crashes with sports teams, and I agree with Near that this accident is certainly top of the list, wiping out basically a whole club's most popular and successful team.

Unfortunately, Russian technology isn't known for being very reliable. The Russians are just masters of improvization, but that's kind of hard to do with airplanes. You can't exactly stop mid-air to wrap someone's pantyhose around a leaking fuel pipe, tighten a few bolts or give the engine a whack with a hammer to make it work again. One of the reasons Russian airlines have a bad reputation.

Well, modern russian tech is proving to be quite reliable in fact. The problem is that they are still using old soviet technology, and lack of control in the repairs and maintenance of even the new planes.

Nevertheless, this incident was truly unfortunate and could have been avoided, the victims will be missed.