Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pica or Obsessive Compulsive

Default Pica or Obsessive Compulsive

Hey I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I've been replying to a lot of threads and I realize I think there's something wrong with me.

I will chew on things for no reason. Just if its small enough to bite, (or even not I bite the edge of binders and the bottom of my laptop too if its close enough to my face) but if I can fit it in my mouth I wont spit it out until it either dissolved or is unrecognizable. I wont swallow things like metal but I will confess I have swallowed legos and cardboard before.

I dont know what to do. I seem healthy but could there be something wrong?

P.s. If this counts any I did this when I was little too. I would chew the edges off of books, like in any of my little kid books they are missing the page numbers because I chewed them until the cardboard dissolved. As far as I can remember Ive done it my whole life.

Just off that information it doesn't sound like either (from what I can find anyways), but I'm not even remotely close to a replacement for a doctor, and know probably as much as you about it. The best thing would be to talk to a doctor about it and they should be able to help you much better then majority of us here probably could (I won't say all, as you never know who is actually here or not xD).

Not Pika- you'd be eating a pound of dirt a day. You seem to be chewing on things, and swallowing them inadvertently. This isn't uncommon. How many people chew on pens? Personally, I bite my nails along with just about anything I idly hold on to. Ask a doctor if you're worried, but you don't sound different than a ton of other people.

Butterfly Mage

I don't think chewing on things counts as pica. But your chewing compulsion might be a side effect of stress. I know that it took me YEARS to break myself of the habit of chewing on ballpoint pens and soda straws.

But even at around 4 though? That's as far back as I can remember. I could understand it being stress related if it started around 7 or so when everything went to crap. But I think things were pretty good back then.

My mother and grandmother both have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I havent been screened though because I dont have insurance that would pay for my medicine. But they are sure I inherited it because Ill have my manic, terrifyingly impulsive moments then my down where Im paranoid and prone to having the occasional panic attack. But if it is stress or anxiety would that be the cause for the impulsive chewing?

Thats the only thing I would think would have been messing me up emotionally at 4 but i might just be suppressing or forgetting something.

It doesn't really sound like OCD, Pica, or bipolar disorder. To me, it just sounds like you have an oral fixation. There's not really anything wrong with you, it's just a quirk. We studied about oral fixations in Psychology last year, and what you're describing seems to fit perfectly with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    It doesn't really sound like OCD, Pica, or bipolar disorder. To me, it just sounds like you have an oral fixation. There's not really anything wrong with you, it's just a quirk. We studied about oral fixations in Psychology last year, and what you're describing seems to fit perfectly with that.
    Im not saying its bipolar disorder just somthing I do because of stress caused by that. *pushes it to the side*

Anyway just an oral fixation? Can you explain?

One bad habit does not an OCD person make, and pica involves consuming non-food items, not chewing them. I vote "oral fixation," like Lizzie said. Basically, it means you have a thing about putting things in your mouth. There's more to it in the psychoanalytical tradition, but I don't really buy into psychoanalysis.

Ok I can understand that. I guess I just freaked out because Ive been mentioning it a lot lately and just realized I had no clue why I did it. Its just one of my many fabulous (yet annoying on occaision) quirks