Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch to Virgin Mobile for smartphone?

Default Switch to Virgin Mobile for smartphone?

I've decided that I need a smartphone. Almost everyone I know owns either an iPhone or a nice looking Android, and even though I know I don't need internet wherever I go, I'd like to have all the apps and such. However I'm currently on a Sprint family plan and if we were to upgrade to a family data plan, this would cost us significantly more. One alternative is that I switch to an individual data plan, but that is $80/month, a bit pricey in my opinion. So I did some research today on cheaper alternatives, and I discovered that if I switched to Virgin Mobile, I could buy a phone for $150 and pay only $35/month for unlimited data.

The catch? I fail to see one. And that worries me. The coverage seems fine, and based on the reviews for Virgin Mobile, their service has more thumbs up than thumbs down. There must be something that allows them to make their service much cheaper, right?

I was hoping some of you tech wizards could advise me if this idea is a good one or not. Because right now I see nothing wrong with it and may go ahead with the idea. If all fails, I'd stick with Sprint and get an LG Rumor Touch. Which I'd rather not do.

Virgin mobile is awesome for $25/month I get 300 minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data. I'm not sure why it's so cheap but who cares? You get the same coverage that you have with sprint but for cheaper, it's a win win situation (idk if you already knew this, but virgin mobile is basically prepaid sprint).

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Virgin mobile is sprint...

I have one. It's cheap. Might get the snapdragon one later and save this one for backup or sell it for 150.

What phone did you have in mind, and how much would it cost to get on other networks? It's possible Virgin are reducing their handset subsidy. Additional, what does "unlimited" mean - how restrictive is their fair use policy? How long is the contract?

It's also possible that Virgin is trying to grow market share, and so has adopted a very aggressive pricing policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    What phone did you have in mind, and how much would it cost to get on other networks? It's possible Virgin are reducing their handset subsidy. Additional, what does "unlimited" mean - how restrictive is their fair use policy? How long is the contract?

It's also possible that Virgin is trying to grow market share, and so has adopted a very aggressive pricing policy.
    The LG Optimus V, which is actually only $125 through Amazon. By comparison, T-Mobile offers their variant of the phone for $30 with a 2-year contract. But by paying full price for the phone, I am not restricted to a contract.

Unlimited I'm sure means "within reason", just like any other carrier who offers data.

Unlimited simply means unlimited. I highly dought you could use enough internet on your phone for them to complain.

Virgin mobile is no contract. I used to have a blackberry from them (my mother still does). Their service is OK, but their phones are usually crippled in some fashion (my blackberry couldn't always install apps and there were limitations on e-mail accounts (no business or "custom domain names" (IE: you own a blog, and put your e-mail through there (I.E [email protected] wouldn't work).

Their android phone is ok (I almost bought one). I have a myTouch 4G from T-mobile now. I pay 30 a month for 1500 talk and text (combined) and 100mb of 4g data. The phone cost me 50 bucks and a mark on my already ruined credit. (Should of done it with a sidekick...)

But Everyone, stay FAR away from Verizon prepaid. They screw you HARD. I had a defective phone, I exchanged it, they wouldn't transfer my number or my $60 in credits to the new phone... I had to get the BBB involved to get it sorted, and by then, I had already switched services..

Quote Originally Posted by munchkitten View Post
    Virgin mobile is no contract. I used to have a blackberry from them (my mother still does). Their service is OK, but their phones are usually crippled in some fashion (my blackberry couldn't always install apps and there were limitations on e-mail accounts (no business or "custom domain names" (IE: you own a blog, and put your e-mail through there (I.E [email protected] wouldn't work).

Their android phone is ok (I almost bought one). I have a myTouch 4G from T-mobile now. I pay 30 a month for 1500 talk and text (combined) and 100mb of 4g data. The phone cost me 50 bucks and a mark on my already ruined credit. (Should of done it with a sidekick...)

But Everyone, stay FAR away from Verizon prepaid. They screw you HARD. I had a defective phone, I exchanged it, they wouldn't transfer my number or my $60 in credits to the new phone... I had to get the BBB involved to get it sorted, and by then, I had already switched services..
    I have T-Mobile as well. I have one of there old EvenMore plans. 1500 min unlimited text and unlimited data for $80 a month

You have unlimited web browsing. You have to look in the small print to see how much data you can download. It might say "unlimited web" Most prepay phones jack up the price.

I have unlimited phone, text, and web for $70 a month which is a lot ccheapere than some of their plans used to be. But I still have a 5 gig limit to download stuff

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk