Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California Dream Act

Default California Dream Act

So California passed a bill that lets Illegal Immigrants recieve MILLIONS in Scholarships from the government to go to college. This comes at a time when California Is prettymuch backrupt, and now giving money to people here ILLEGALLY?

Im sorry but this is beyond absurd.

As a student who will be going to college soon, this pisses me off beyond words, because while these guys (who are here illegally, breaking the law, did i mentionthat?) get handouts My parents have been working their asses off since the day i was born to have the money to send me to college. Since I am White and come from a middleclass Family I have about as much chance of getting any financial aid as the Obama Administation does at balancing the budget.

/rant

Fantasticmax2

Yea but they cant get a real job when they graduate

As much as I don't think that this new law is right, you have to consider some aspects of why people cross over illegally. Some people have the attitude that "It's illegal and that's that." But you should consider, what about the women and children who's father/husband was killed by a drug cartel and now the cartel is coming after them? Or what about those who are destitute over there, can't afford a visa, and even if they could by the time the visa's ready they'd die of starvation? Or what about those who come over because, again, they live in destitute conditions and they want to come here to live the American dream? That's what some of my family members did. They knew they were too poor, so they came to the US illegally. Now, they're all doing really well for themselves. And no, they didn't freeload. They did everything legitimately. Just as a normal citizen. Now, unfortunately, a couple family members got deported, but the rest of them remained out of the government eye long enough to get amnesty/citizenship. Although I do agree that this law is absurd, save some cases, I think that the reason why the immigrants are trying to get out so bad should be looked into more. I would hate to be a customs officer who sends back a woman and child who are trying to illegally cross, then figure out a month later that they were both killed brutally and whatnot by drug gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyAllie View Post
    As much as I don't think that this new law is right, you have to consider some aspects of why people cross over illegally. Some people have the attitude that "It's illegal and that's that." But you should consider, what about the women and children who's father/husband was killed by a drug cartel and now the cartel is coming after them? Or what about those who are destitute over there, can't afford a visa, and even if they could by the time the visa's ready they'd die of starvation? Or what about those who come over because, again, they live in destitute conditions and they want to come here to live the American dream? That's what some of my family members did. They knew they were too poor, so they came to the US illegally. Now, they're all doing really well for themselves. And no, they didn't freeload. They did everything legitimately. Just as a normal citizen. Now, unfortunately, a couple family members got deported, but the rest of them remained out of the government eye long enough to get amnesty/citizenship. Although I do agree that this law is absurd, save some cases, I think that the reason why the immigrants are trying to get out so bad should be looked into more. I would hate to be a customs officer who sends back a woman and child who are trying to illegally cross, then figure out a month later that they were both killed brutally and whatnot by drug gangs.
    Its normal to feel a certain amount of sympathy for individuals in a bad situation. There's something wrong with you if you don't. Looking at the big picture though, just opening the borders and letting the 3rd world in unabated will bring us down to their level in a hurry. There are parts of California (and Chicago!) that are third world already. I can feel a certain amount of sympathy for a young gang banger in prison, too. A life wasted. That doesn't mean I think he should be let out, and if he killed someone, I'd have no qualms about hitting the switch on the electric chair (or whatever - personally, I think public hangings should make a comeback)

1. If our borders had been secured as required of the Federal Government by the U.S. Constitution, your imagined sympathetic characters wouldn't be here, and a Dream Act would be irrelevant.

2. I never hear anyone call on them to fix their own country. We didn't turn Mexico into a crime ridden hellhole, they did that to themselves. The same thing is happening on the south side of Chicago. Somebody gets shot, and you get a few people marching around and chanting "stop the violence". So where were these people when their children stroll out the door to "hang out" well past curfew? Where were these people when something suspicious was happening at the corner? Did anyone call the police? Often as not, nobody calls, and when the police do show up, they have another march protesting excessive force and racism. Everybody's a victim, nobody is expected to man up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    We didn't turn Mexico into a crime ridden hellhole, they did that to themselves.
    This is actually debatable on a lot of levels. Before I give further response, though I'll have to do some real research. To put the basics I can remember out, a lot of their problems stem from a combination of US Multinationals going to Mexico for various reasons and our FDA's War on Drugs that pushed American cartels out of the country.

I find most of these immigrent debates odd. If you are not a native american indian, then you and your line are immigrents too. I'm fairly sure that the statue of liberty isn't holding a sign that says first come, first served.

Also, to say that there are parts of the USA that are thrid world is just wrong. You still have access to clean water, power, and human rights. There is food to eat. If you think that it's a fair comparison from parts of California to parts of Africa, then I just don't know what to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmax2 View Post
    Yea but they cant get a real job when they graduate
    Illegals or anyone with a degree?

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    I find most of these immigrent debates odd. If you are not a native american indian, then you and your line are immigrents too. I'm fairly sure that the statue of liberty isn't holding a sign that says first come, first served.
    I don't think there is a country out there as welcoming to immigrants as the United States and people are taking advantage of it. In Canada to get in legally your options are be:

• rich and buy your way in as an investor.
    • Although it probably costs more than being an investor being a farmer and buying a farm.
    • be highly skilled, educated or both.
    • Refuge
    • Being the immediate family of one of these people. And have these people be willing to pay your way because you will get zero government assistance for the first five years.

I believe the US has a draw system in addition to paths for skilled people.

And they tolerate illegals in the US to a amazing extent. In Canada we kidnap children from school and hold them hostage till their parents turn themselves in for deportation. It's kinda hard to criticize a system that is more open and forgiving than your own.

And since you bring up native Americans, look what happened to them because they let too many people in. They would have been completely wiped out if eugenics had not fallen out of favour after WWII.

Well, two points there. First, just because the USA has a better system then ours, doesn't make it good. Second, the issue to me isn't the legal ways for people to get into Canada or the USA. It's the outlook that people seem to have of immigrants. They want to shut everyone out. They say that these illegal immigrants are a drain on the taxes of the citizens, when most of these immigrants would be happy to pay taxes and be a part of the country. They say Mexicans are taking all the jobs, but no one want's to do the jobs these Mexican immigrants are doing. They get mad that a Mexican will work for less, but don't want to see the higher prices that would come from paying people a livable wage.

The american political system (and judicial, and, oh-so-many others!), has lost touch with reality. At least reality as the common, tax-paying, hard-working, LEGAL Citizen knows it.

B.