Thread: Finally being taken seriously - and a question!

Default Finally being taken seriously - and a question!

So, today I went for my second opinion at the urologist. After the last guy said the problems I was having was down to my lifestyle, which I would have accepted, had this not been a problem my entire life, and when I was 8 I wasn't working nights in a nightclub

It went surprisingly well. The guy listened to me and asked me some questions and they did a flow test and a kind of radiology type thing where they check to see if there's still anything left in the bladder.

I've to go and get some tablets from my GP next week, and in a few months I'm going to be getting some tests. Now, this is where the question comes in. I can't remember the name of the tests (nor do I care) but basically they're going to stick a camera up my urethra under local anaesthetic. Are there any other people (girls especially) who have had this done? How does it go? Is it terribly painful? They've said they'll stop if it's too painful and I can go back another day and they'll either do it differently or put me under full anaesthetic, but I'm still scared! So... what's it like and what should I expect?

Glad you are getting some help at last. The name of the procedure they are suggesting can vary a bit so don't take it for granted I have picked the right one - but it is often referred to as a bladderoscopy. I have had this done and I reckon your lucky being a girl! This is because there is a lot further for the tube with the camera to travel for men and believe me this is one occasion where size does matter! It sounds daunting when they first tell you about it but before the procedure you will be given a lot of information - if it does not come ask for it - and the people who do it are very skilled and gentle. I hope others who have had the procedure will be able to reassure you as well - it isn't something I would do for choice but the pay off is it could help solve the problem. You will probably be able to see the pictures the camera takes on a TV screen which is interesting especially if the technician/doctor explains things as the examination is happening.

Not sure if either of these are it, especially with me being male, but the two I have had were VCUGs and Urodynamics. The urodynamics I didn't feel any pain because that urologist used a local anesthetic, but the VCUG was painful as all hell, since the urologist was a dick and refused to use an anesthetic(for reasons the new urologist could not figure out) so i ended up getting held down (this was when I was 7, 8, and 10 years old, so three VCUGs). The VCUG and Urodynamics tests were the same from what I could tell (in terms of what the procedure was, with completely different results). What they did was insert the catheter, filled my bladder with contrast material, and took some measurements about things like bladder capacity and god knows what, then they pulled out the catheter, had me take a leak, put in a new catheter, and checked how much urine was left in my bladder.

Regardless of what it is, I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    Not sure if either of these are it, especially with me being male, but the two I have had were VCUGs and Urodynamics. The urodynamics I didn't feel any pain because that urologist used a local anesthetic, but the VCUG was painful as all hell, since the urologist was a dick and refused to use an anesthetic(for reasons the new urologist could not figure out) so i ended up getting held down (this was when I was 7, 8, and 10 years old, so three VCUGs). The VCUG and Urodynamics tests were the same from what I could tell (in terms of what the procedure was, with completely different results). What they did was insert the catheter, filled my bladder with contrast material, and took some measurements about things like bladder capacity and god knows what, then they pulled out the catheter, had me take a leak, put in a new catheter, and checked how much urine was left in my bladder.

Regardless of what it is, I wish you luck.
    It's definitely not that. It's a camera. They've already tested flow and how much was left after I peed today, and it was a nice simple procedure with nothing stuck inside me! They can do it with fancy machines and radiology things nowadays

My problems tend to lie at the other side of the system so the only similarity would be the use of a camera, it was fairly uncomfortable, and the weirdest sensation ever when they took a biopsy sample but thats not likely to happen in your case.

All I can really say is if it does become painful let them know straight away so they can adjust or just take things slower

Hi Talula,
    the procedure you are describing is known as cystoscopy, which is an investigation of the Urethra and Bladder by camera. I'm male, so it's slightly differnt for us, but not much. The camera is slightly larger than a normal catheter, but once the local has taken affect (Normally a gel) the camera will be passed through the first sphincter in to the urethra, it will then be slowly passed alongh the urthera until it meets the internal sphincter at the neck of the bladder ( about 2 to 3 inches in a girl/woman), You will then normally be asked to try to push as though you were passing water (don't worry if you do actually pass something - it happens to a lot of us), the muscle at the neck of the bladder is strong and the hole is small so this bit can be very unpleasant, even painful, but if you push really hard it should be over with fairly quickly. Once the camera is in the bladder the pain and most of the discomfort will go away, although it is still an odd sensation as most people can fell the camera being manipulated. Once they have had a good look round they will withdraw the camera, which is the easy bit. You may be sore once the local wears off and the next you few times you wet your nappy or go to the toilet for a wee you may notice some blood and a little pain, that should clear up within 12 hours. Hope that gives you some idea.

Talula,
    You what has been said is correct. I have had this done a few times over the last 3yrs and for me it didn't hurt because they did use a numbing gel/liquid that I didn't feel it going in and once inside it didn't hurt either. Each person though can and will act differently to this test depending on the skill of the doctor doing doing it. I am happy that you went on and got checked out and are going further to see what is going on. It isn't always the best idea to listen to just one doctor when it comes to what we deal with on a daily bases. Keep us posted on how things are going and how your test come out.

Thats a good point,checkingoutall. I just want to add that the local Health Service in Scotland should provide incontinence support and guidance - as well as any neccesary supplies BUT it is often difficult to secure the help you are entitled to and the advice that others have found helpful is "don't give up" because "polite persistance pays" - this does depend on the diagnosis so like others I'd say - yes please do let us know how it goes with the tests and ask again if there is anything we can help with - always on the basis that no one other than a doctor can give medical advice.