Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careers--what do you expect/hope for?

Default Careers--what do you expect/hope for?

Hi all, misreading Peachy's thread title on carers over in the Adult Baby Forum got me thinking--what do you expect and hope for from your career? I saw HandfulofOats started a thread back in March on where people work, but this is kind of different. I know some of you have careers, but I think a lot of people have jobs that won't be their careers.

So, what do you want to get out of your career? Satisfaction? Helping others? Boatloads of money? Intellectual stimulation? And why? What do you want to do with your life?

I'm still really not sure what I want to do with my life. I think I want to work for a few years after college and save up some money, and then go to grad school. There's a lot of things that interest me, but I'm not at all sure what I actually want to do or where my niche is. I'm not really looking for advice or suggestions (no one here knows me well enough, and I have resources at uni to look at), but I am interested in how other people feel about this.

My only constant right now is that I want to marry and raise children, and whatever my career, raising my children will be the most important thing I do. Young as I am, I feel more strongly about that with every year. This rules out certain careers--any job with a great deal of traveling, hardship postings overseas, outrageous hours. So I know quite a bit about what I don't want to do, but there's so many things I might want to do that for now I'm at a loose end.

Thanks all!

Every time I see his thread, I think it says careers...But unfortunately I don't have input on either...Except for this...*Walks away*

i live breathe eat theatre i have decided that i want to major in theatre and get a teaching degree . i want to teach theatre at high school level . being a teacher really isnt that bad of money i think iwould get the satisfation of doingsomething i love while helping others plus i get summers off ^^

Well I would like to peruse a career in Art but thats not happening so I might be a roughneck though pay's good but it is very dangerous Or I might join the marines

Kip

I don't know, to be honest with you. The only requirement that my career has to have is health insurance. Medicine is freaking expensive. I'm torn between a career in computers or a career in law enforcement, like the FBI or DEA. I enjoy computers, but I have always been facsinated by law enforcement. Right now, I'm just going to school, so I can finish up my associate's degree and move on to my bachelor's degree.

Enough money to keep me alive, lot's of travel, helping others. But most of all satisfaction. When you're satisfied with your job, you don't need loads of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I don't know, to be honest with you. The only requirement that my career has to have is health insurance. Medicine is freaking expensive. I'm torn between a career in computers or a career in law enforcement, like the FBI or DEA. I enjoy computers, but I have always been facsinated by law enforcement. Right now, I'm just going to school, so I can finish up my associate's degree and move on to my bachelor's degree.
    Yeah, right now I'm just working on finishing undergrad. And I definitely hear you on health insurance. I've seen too much of my mom's problems with paying for health insurance to think otherwise. For now, I'm still on my Dad's health insurance, but since I started going on my own I know what dr's visits cost. I'm planning on staying in the UK (working there, of course) until I can get into a job in the US that carries benefits. Bring on the NHS!

Why the DEA? Have you thought about ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Enough money to keep me alive, lot's of travel, helping others. But most of all satisfaction. When you're satisfied with your job, you don't need loads of money.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about satisfaction. I want to travel, too, but I don't think I want to travel a lot as part of my career--like I said, I want to raise my children (not let someone else, or my wife alone, raise them).

I also want intellectual challenge. This summer, I've been doing yard work and some handyman type stuff. The money is actually pretty decent for unskilled work, but it is tedious, hot, and boring. I know that I don't want to do that, or anything like it, for the rest of my life.

Vincent: What track are you thinking of in the Marines? Enlisted, or Navy ROTC?

I would want a job where I can meet alot of good people and make some good money.
    my dream ever since I was a child and still is, is to be like a movie director, even if it wouldnt be major blockbusters I would be satisfied(though no B-movies!) and I would make my scripts for my movies like Tarantino!

ABSOLUTLEY NO IDEA!

Hopefully something that pays a lot, but in order to that I would need to not be lazy. Something I am not to good at. Going to a career counselor so I can lrn what I want to work at.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by diapermingus View Post
    Yeah, right now I'm just working on finishing undergrad. And I definitely hear you on health insurance. I've seen too much of my mom's problems with paying for health insurance to think otherwise. For now, I'm still on my Dad's health insurance, but since I started going on my own I know what dr's visits cost. I'm planning on staying in the UK (working there, of course) until I can get into a job in the US that carries benefits. Bring on the NHS!

Why the DEA? Have you thought about ATF?
    I've actually looked at all of the different law enforcement agencies. I think I would go with the DEA because I've always been fascinated by illegal drugs and all of the huge seizures that I read about in the newspaper. The FBI looks pretty good also. According to their website, they are looking for people that have bachelors degrees in computer science, which is what I am majoring in.

I can attest to the cost of doctor's office visits, considering I have my fair share of them.
    Since I'm over 18, the bills are actually mailed to me. I went in for an EEG and the bill was $400 for an hour-long test. Luckily, I'm still on my parent's insurance as long as I am going to school. As for the meds that I take, they are pretty expensive. I take six pills a day, and each are a buck a piece according to my dad. Do the math.