Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Born Into The Wrong Generation

Default Born Into The Wrong Generation

Does anyone ever think they were born in the wrong generation?

I think I was. I don't really like to complain too much, cause it is what it is.. But a lot of things still get to me. The music is horrible, everyone's so entranced by technology and the world's getting lazier and lazier. Gas is so expensive, cars are so expensive, groceries are so expensive. Personally I love 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music. Early 2000s music was alright.. But now it's like 95% trash. People are actually becoming famous for sucking! On top of that, the laws are so tight nowadays, the financial state is so horrible... I mean.. Damn, I wish I lived for a while before everything went to shit. I try to make the best of it. I make music. I play guitar and piano and me and my best friend have a ritual of getting up early in the morning with cigarettes and coffees, sitting on a bench and watching the sunrise, and it occurred to me that we must be the only people in Rhode Island who do that.. I don't know. I just feel like previous generations definitely had it better. Sorry if this went all over the place, I'm really tired and I'm trying my hardest to stay on topic without being too distracted by how good my bed looks right now.

Thoughts?

I am the other way around... I relate better to 'Miliennials' (sp?) then i do to 'Generation X'. I can't stand most of my peers, but get along great with kids 10years younger than me. I think that is why all of my adisc friends are 15-18. I have only met a few on here my age that i get along with.

I don't think that I ever feel like I was born in the wrong decade or in the wrong generation.
    I personally think think that each decade has its own pros and cons, and that I really could have survived just fine in any of them beginning in the 1920's. Many people think that their generation is the greatest (I know you're not in this boat right now, if ever) and that all other generations are inferior in some way.
    Things that have remained a constant in our society too: Food has always gotten more expensive, cars have continued to get more expensive, houses have continued to get more expensive, and things in general have gotten more expensive. I don't really see this ever changing. Inflation will continue to haunt us, and pester us for a long long time. Salaries have also continued to increase over the decades as well. It is arguable whether they have increased in an equal proportion to costs though.

As for music: There is a lot of trashy music that comes out of every decade. There is also a lot of good music that comes out of every decade. The bad music eventually gets forgotten, and the "cream" eventually floats to the top over time. Also musical taste is also a matter of opinion. I myself play several instruments, have been on music scholarships, and understand that some genres of music take more "musical talent" than others. Does this mean that we should only listen to classical music, and improvisational jazz because those tend to be more complicated and in-depth than other forms of music?
    People have always become famous for "sucking," and not just at music. Many people have become famous over the decades for criminal behavior, mistakes on national television, making crummy retail products, and yes even making crappy music and jingles.
    People still get up to watch sunrises, stay up to watch the planets and stars, as well as take a hike every once and a while to enjoy nature. Examples of this would be the large increase in visitations to national parks, forest, and recreation areas. The increased use of campground facilities is a n example of this too. People still enjoy cups of coffee in the morning too. How many Starbucks exist nowadays? How many people have you seen in coffee shops simply visiting and chatting with friends?

Law enforcement has always had is issues, and many people have grievances with law enforcement for centuries. Remember the riots in the 90's over the Rodney King beating? How about the civil rights movement, and law enforcement atrocities in the 60's and 70's? How about the spike in crime in the late 80's and early 90's as well when then wasn't enough law enforcement?

Sorry to be so preachy, but I think that the good things in life still exist along side the negative ones in every decade. Things are simply portrayed differently and mass media has been able to give more attention to several of the negative aspects of society in ways that weren't possible before. Personally I love the Jazz music of the 30's and 40's. The 50's have a very family oriented nostalgic feel. The 60's had some great rock music, the hippie movement, and awesome muscle cars. The 70's would have been a riot with the all about me attitudes, the birth of punk rock, and mullets! The 80's with the dawn of the computer age, MTV, and electronic music would've been sweet. The 90's gave us real use of the internet, Michael Jordan, and Nu-Metal. The early Millennium you are familiar with as well as the new decade. We also had Vietnam, Iran-Contra, mass public and legal discrimination, no internet, some crummy guitars for a couple decades, bad politicians, huge interest rates, the Cold War, a viable threat of nuclear war, and many other negative things too.

I wouldn't want to give up Youtube, Ebay, better adult diapers, internet shopping, new albums from several good bands, and online research for school papers just to live for some nostalgia in another decade. I love bits and pieces of each decade. I simply think that the last decade and this current one will only need time before they gain their own nostalgia.

Actually, I often think I was born too soon. The future will be amazing because of all the new technology yet to be developed. (...unless we find a way to destroy ourselves before then?) I am sometimes fascinated by history, but I don't wish I had been born into another generation. Maybe I sometimes wish I had been born in another country, maybe sometimes another universe, but no, not a past generation. Sometimes I wonder what it might have been like to have been part of a different generation, but I wouldn't want to personally find out through experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    I am the other way around... I relate better to 'Miliennials' (sp?) then i do to 'Generation X'. I can't stand most of my peers, but get along great with kids 10years younger than me. I think that is why all of my adisc friends are 15-18. I have only met a few on here my age that i get along with.
    That makes sense, actually. You're only 25, so you were born in the beginning of the Millennial generation, which is pretty much universally said to begin between 1980-1985, most placing it around 1983.

As for me, I feel like I was born in the right generation, albeit right on the line between the two generations. Most of my friends are my age or younger than I am, and I enjoy a lot of the culture of the '80s and '90s. I feel like the Universe and I have a good fit together.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyAllie View Post
    Does anyone ever think they were born in the wrong generation?

I think I was. I don't really like to complain too much, cause it is what it is.. But a lot of things still get to me. The music is horrible, everyone's so entranced by technology and the world's getting lazier and lazier. Gas is so expensive, cars are so expensive, groceries are so expensive. Personally I love 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s music. Early 2000s music was alright.. But now it's like 95% trash. People are actually becoming famous for sucking! On top of that, the laws are so tight nowadays, the financial state is so horrible... I mean.. Damn, I wish I lived for a while before everything went to shit. I try to make the best of it. I make music. I play guitar and piano and me and my best friend have a ritual of getting up early in the morning with cigarettes and coffees, sitting on a bench and watching the sunrise, and it occurred to me that we must be the only people in Rhode Island who do that.. I don't know. I just feel like previous generations definitely had it better. Sorry if this went all over the place, I'm really tired and I'm trying my hardest to stay on topic without being too distracted by how good my bed looks right now.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cynicism. You just bitched about nearly all of humanity or at the very least people that make your life possible.

As for liking past decades that you likely did not live/exist in.Ssure they had their good times, but they also got plucked out of the public to fight in some war that we actually lost. Some din't return home and other's did so missing one or more limbs. Then there was also racism, homobia and the discovery of aids. Which impacted homobia and still does. Gay people can't give blood in most donation centers, period. Just because they are gay.

The only reason why it seems like a good time is since what you read, see and hear about that time is mostly positive now with just lightly touching on the problems of those era's.

June

This world we live in, it's not perfect.

But from the looks of things, it's only going down from here. Global warming is becoming more and more extreme, we are running out of more and more resources, more and more people are hated every day due to stereotypes. But think of how it will be a few decades from now. Chances are, it will get much worse before it gets better.

I see a subtle soul
    It turns its head away
    This wasteland that we call our home
    We couldn't change our ways...

-Lyrics from a song I wrote

I think i probably should have been born more in the 70's because I like the culture,music, ect of the 80's and 90's, the 70's to a lesser degree as well. Now i don't agree with the statements about the horrible state of the world and society, because things have always been bad just for different reasons. I mean look there have been stereotypes, wars, poverty, corruption, ect, since the beginning of civilization; the only thing that changes are the who and the when.

John Edwards says we are presently creating the world we will live in after death. There's a lot about my generation that I would look forward to, in a spiritual world without pain and suffering, and especially useless wars. I grew up in the generation of porches, sitting in them on a hot summer night and watching the sunset. Porches brought neighbors together, stopping to talk to one another.

I can remember as a child, my dad cooking out on the grill, our neighbors invited. It was a quieter time, and I miss that. It also was a time when men died at the age of 57 to heart disease. There was little hope if you had cancer. Records were scratchy and warped. Most speakers sucked. Cars were unreliable and lasted for about 70,000 miles.

Each generation has had pluses and minuses, but if we take it with us into the next dimension, try to live a quality life, one with art, beauty, good music, and love toward each other.

Zake

Hm, it's always been kind of a conflict for me. I have a natural ability with computers and social media, so that's sort of what's guided my career path...I never intended to do what I do now, but people see me as their technological saviour, and that's what's always ended up getting me a job.

On the other hand, I hate most music (at least the "top 40" stuff) made after about 1995. Most of it literally sounds the same to me--I here the likes of lady ga ga and bruno mars on the radio, and I can't tell one song from the other. I prefer to listen to The Beatles, Elvis, The Mamas and the Papas, Louis Armstrong, the rat pack, and even The Beach Boys. I also prefer vinyl or even 8-tracks over CDs and MP3s.
    I'm opposed to ebook readers, I prefer reading the newspaper to reading Tweets, I send personal letters by snail mail, I'd rather spend a week on a train or boat than a few hours on an aeroplane, and I can't help but sensing most highschoolers and college students (my peers) are ignorant, naive, sheltered and spoiled. With the exception of a very few of my friends, there seems to be a great disconnect between my interests and those of most of my generation. I always have more meaningful conversations with people about 20-30 years older than me.

There are elements of popular culture today that disgust me so much that I literally feel like vomiting if I'm exposed to them for any great length of time. Examples: Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana, Lady Ga Ga, twitter, anything to do with high school, Glee (at least for the most part), reality television, and the list goes on.

I could continue, but I'll stop. I apologize for my spout of righteous indignation.