Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck between sizes

Default Stuck between sizes

So I recently got some abena L4, having finished my supply of the M4.

The problem is, I seem to be between sizes... the M4 gave a tight fit around the leg, but snug around the waist. The L4 has a great fit around the leg and waist, but hangs a lot from the behind... as in, when standing there is a gap between my bum and the diaper...

I have tried taping it up many ways, but I cannot get rid of this gap - any ideas? Or is it time to move onto a different brand?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps try wearing a size large but using a booster to help take up space thus making it a little more snug? Just an idea...

When the diaper is packaged it gets folded up, as you very well know, but sometimes it stays folded in the pack for a very long time. I assume that the M4s have a much higher demand than the L4s and therefor M4s will not stay in the pack as long as L4s. So to sum it up you should try unfolding the diaper and bending it backwards to try to get it as straight as possible.

When you put on the diaper, make sure you are laying down, both ends should be as even as possible before you begin taping. I'm sure you probably know this well though :P

Inevitably, large is going to be... well, larger than what you have been used to for so long. The size range reaches a whole new group of people so there is going to be much more room in there for bigger people. You might have to get used to it or just switch to another brand for the mean time. It sounds like you want something more snug on you, so when looking for brands find one with your waist size near or at the top of the range.

I completely can empathise with you! I have the same problem with Bambinos.

That said, given that you're having the issue with Abenas (which I find pretty surprising, as the M4s even fit my beefy cyclist legs), you might have some trouble finding another brand that works for you. IIRC, the Euro Tenas are a bit smaller than Abenas, and since you're in Europe, maybe the large Tenas would do for you? Dry 24/7 mediums would work well, as they're a couple inches bigger than Abena mediums. Alternatively, like someone above suggested, maybe a stuffer would fill it out enough to help the fit.

But yeah, I'm afraid I don't know what else to say. When I tried the large Bambinos, I found the same thing, that they were too prone to leak because they were just too big. I wound up switching brands.

Of course, I'll also take a moment to put in my obligatory plug for cloth diapers into this post

I have a few ideas.

1. Before laying the diaper down, open it fully plastic side up and gently stretch the folds out of the padding. Then gently roll the long ways padding down the middle a few times.

2. Try laying on the floor when diapering up. It is suggested that you get a better fit that way.

3. Try positioning the bottom tapes more upward, and the top tapes downward.

Those are all the tricks i know. Hopefully they help.

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post
    I have a few ideas.

1. Before laying the diaper down, open it fully plastic side up and gently stretch the folds out of the padding. Then gently roll the long ways padding down the middle a few times.

2. Try laying on the floor when diapering up. It is suggested that you get a better fit that way.

3. Try positioning the bottom tapes more upward, and the top tapes downward.

Those are all the tricks i know. Hopefully they help.
    Bingo. I find myself in a similar situation often. The M4s work well enough, but using points number 2 and 3 make it perfect.

I don't know what it is about having a 30"-32" waist. I always find myself on a sizing cusp.

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    I don't know what it is about having a 30"-32" waist. I always find myself on a sizing cusp.
    I'm in the same boat as you with a 31"-ish waist. I usually default to mediums in any brand since they are generally more absorbent. One day, I'm going to try small Abenas and see how much I like them, maybe just a sample pack for starters.

Thanks guys, confirmed what I suspected! I'll take it all into account and hopefully get a good fit from the L4 - so much softer than tena so if I can avoid them I will!

*Hugs*

Absorin

You could also try to overlap the top tapes. If I use L4s on my 31" waist I do just that and they end up fitting snug all over. But then I always use an insert which may also solve your issue (Abri Let Maxi or MoliNea 15x60cm).

I'm on the high end of being between M and L for xplus, tho I don't find I have a problem with the L fit. I'm actually working through my first bag of L4's right now. It does get a bit of a pooch in the front and in the back, but I don't mind it. I suppose if you were going to #2 you'd be grateful for a little extra room

Regardless of whether the diaper I put on is too big or too small, I usually tape it the same way. The top tapes I attach on the top of the front, about an inch from the edge. On some diapers there's padding way up there, and on most there's not, but that's where I put it. (that can lead to an overhang developing just below the tape area that sticks out a ways, but that appears to really help with side wetting protection)

The lower tapes, I make sure to pull the diaper up to seat firmly on that side of the crotch, and then pull the front and back together several times to bring the material very firmly together before taping. I aim the tape for the elastic band inside that side of the diaper. On some diapers, that means getting the tape close to where the elastic ends, and on other diapers it means passing by the end of the elastic and taping just below it. This fit helps prevent leaks from under the cheeks in back.

It's also been my experience that if you wear a diaper for more than a couple hours, the material for the lower tapes stretches enough to require repositioning of the tapes. I had to do this this afternoon before leaving work for home, as the once snug lower tape fits could easily be lifted up an inch from my thigh. But even though the diaper was already pretty saturated, and got wet further on the drive home, I didn't leak. (this can be a problem for diapers with no retapes)