Thread: Cloning my Drive?

Default Cloning my Drive?

Greetings everyone,

I was curious, but not sure how to do this, so here is the situation. My laptop has two hard drives (My main is C, and my secondary is D). My main, C, is rather full, and I just so happen to have a compatible 500GB hard drive that was originally meant for something else, but ended up not being needed. So, I was thinking about throwing the 500 in this laptop.

My question is, is there a program that I could throw the new drive into where D is, clone my C to the new drive, and then swap out my old C for the new C?

I was checking out clonezilla, but wasn't able to find anything saying I'd be able to do something like this, or anything on whether or not I can do this in the first place. Once I find some software that is capable of doing this, I shouldn't have many problems. Maybe I'm over complicating things as well.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, I am going to see if I can swap the one drive out tomorrow.

Assuming in reading that right you have two hard drives in there now, 1 and 2. 1 being the main os. You want to take out #2 put in #3 clone #1 to #3 then take out #1 and put #2 back in? If so, then acronis will do that. I think I got the name right, I know some of their software is free and some isn't, I'm not sure if the drive cloning is free.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Absorin

Use a live CD like Knoppix, at the prompt type "knoppix 2" so you get a command line. Now, assuming the source disk is /dev/sda and the target disk is /dev/sdb (verify with "fdisk -l", /dev/sdb should be your new, virgin disk) then type "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb". Apart from being totally free (as in: beer) using the dd program also ensures you get a bit-by-bit clone of your source, including any boot/management partitions it may have. When it's done shut down, remove your "C" drive, put the new disk in its place, put your "D" disk back. On the "C" disk use a repartitioning program like Partition Magic (not free) or parted (free on the Knoppix CD but difficult to use) to resize the partition to use the whole disk. Or just create a second partition.

If you want a GUI that does all the work for you, I recommend Acronis True Image, boot off of it, select clone drive and follow the on screen directions. I believe it costs $30 but it is sure worth it. For backups, cloning, data recovery, among other things. If the second drive is a 2.5" laptop drive, you just need an enclosure to hook it up, if you do not already have one. Good luck, and hope it works out. If there are any problems, just post here and there will be people more than happy to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningFire View Post
    Greetings everyone,

I was curious, but not sure how to do this, so here is the situation. My laptop has two hard drives (My main is C, and my secondary is D). My main, C, is rather full, and I just so happen to have a compatible 500GB hard drive that was originally meant for something else, but ended up not being needed. So, I was thinking about throwing the 500 in this laptop.

My question is, is there a program that I could throw the new drive into where D is, clone my C to the new drive, and then swap out my old C for the new C?

I was checking out clonezilla, but wasn't able to find anything saying I'd be able to do something like this, or anything on whether or not I can do this in the first place. Once I find some software that is capable of doing this, I shouldn't have many problems. Maybe I'm over complicating things as well.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, I am going to see if I can swap the one drive out tomorrow.
    Clonezilla should work just fine for that because it just clones the drive. You're thrid drive would be just like you first one. I can test this for you if you would like me to

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk