Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Hair Remover?

Default Liquid Hair Remover?

Maybe this thread would be better in the Diaper Talk forum, sorry.

So, I've read some threads on shaving off the "hair down there" and I'd really rather keep sharp objects away from that area. So I was curious if anyone had tried the alternative of liquid hair remover? I've never removed the hair in my "southern region" and I've heared some horror stories about it, so can anyone share any experience there either?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Likewise you don't really want to be putting that stuff down there either certainly not longterm. Shaving really isn't that bad at all. cutting yourself is pretty hard to do.

Nasty corrosive chemicals and genital region don't mix ;p

Get yourself a good electric shaver .. they make ones specifically meant for "personal grooming" that have a smaller mesh and are less likely to catch the skin (as a beard trimmer can do).

---------- Post added at 03:32 ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 ----------

Would just add.. given the choice of a slight cut and a chemical burn .. I think I'd take the cut ;p

I tried Nair on my chest one time and ONLY one time. I followed the directions on the package, and for my troubles I got a nice chemical burn that hurt for three days.

There's not enough money on this planet to get me to put that stuff anywhere near more important bits. Besides, if you're careful with the razor, you'll be fine. I've been shaving that area for a few years now with no problems.

I used Nair before and never had a problem. But what i mostly use is this Amazon.com: Philips Norelco BG2020 Bodygroom Shaver: Health & Personal Care I can use it dry or in the bath/shower. I find it work better when wet tho i think its time for me to get a new one

Nair is very messy to use and you have wait for it to do its thing, were you can shave the area in the same amount of time using a shaver

Just use a razor. Having nicked myself several times, it's really not a big deal.

Use a trimmer to shorten the hair and then just use a run of the mill razor. Easy peasy.

The thing with chemical hair removers... They're just corrosive chemicals. I believe nair is something ridiculous like sodium hydroxide (a strong base). It's not like it's a magical hair specific chemical or anything. It's corrosive to everything you put it on. Youre just getting rid of it after it corrodes your hair and before it corrodes your skin (that's the idea at least). That's great unless you have sensitive skin, then ouch. And by the time you find out, youve already burned yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I tried Nair on my chest one time and ONLY one time. I followed the directions on the package, and for my troubles I got a nice chemical burn that hurt for three days.

Yes, chemical burns look "fun". Of course lye would likely be MUCH worse then nair. (Off topic. Fight Club is less about fighting and more about philosophy.)

Anyways I find it odd that there's been nothing targeted for men who hate hair as much as women. I mean, asides from razors.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaCat View Post
    The thing with chemical hair removers... They're just corrosive chemicals. I believe nair is something ridiculous like sodium hydroxide (a strong base). It's not like it's a magical hair specific chemical or anything. It's corrosive to everything you put it on. Youre just getting rid of it after it corrodes your hair and before it corrodes your skin (that's the idea at least). That's great unless you have sensitive skin, then ouch. And by the time you find out, youve already burned yourself.
    Chemical depilatories are usually thioglycolic acid and a strong base such as sodium or calcium hydroxide. The thioglycolic acid is deprotonated by the base to give the thioglycolate anion which breaks the disulfide bonds that make the keratin which hair is composed of rigid. The base is not able to actually hydrolyze the proteins without prolonged exposure and high heat. Hair is removed mechanically, facilitated by this weakening of the keratin; it is not corrosion. The strong bases can cause damage to skin cell membranes and may also cause saponification of lipids (which is why your skin can feel slippery after exposure to such a base; the fats in your skin are converted to fatty acids). The degree of skin damage that occurs from exposure to things like Nair seems to be rather variable across different people. Some people cannot use it without significant discomfort, while others (like myself) can use it with relative impunity.

/science

I have used a product called Balls Balm which is essentially like "Nair Lite" for the nether regions.

The good news: It did not irritate my skin.

The bad news: Apparently I am the first person they've ever encountered (or so both their customer service person and a host of people at Amazon.com say) that has been unsuccessful at removing pubes with it.

Don't get me wrong, it took the hair off my leg just fine (accidentally, when I slopped some on there), but I can only guess my pubes are just too damned coarse for this product to work on them. Everyone else who has reviewed the product on Amazon has testified to its glory, so I have to guess I'm just cursed with tree trunks or something.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by komodokitty View Post
    Chemical depilatories are usually thioglycolic acid and a strong base such as sodium or calcium hydroxide. The thioglycolic acid is deprotonated by the base to give the thioglycolate anion which breaks the disulfide bonds that make the keratin which hair is composed of rigid. The base is not able to actually hydrolyze the proteins without prolonged exposure and high heat. Hair is removed mechanically, facilitated by this weakening of the keratin; it is not corrosion. The strong bases can cause damage to skin cell membranes and may also cause saponification of lipids (which is why your skin can feel slippery after exposure to such a base; the fats in your skin are converted to fatty acids). The degree of skin damage that occurs from exposure to things like Nair seems to be rather variable across different people. Some people cannot use it without significant discomfort, while others (like myself) can use it with relative impunity.

/science
    In response to the above, the product I referenced is indeed a combination of calcium thioglycolate and calcium hydroxide.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    In response to the above, the product I referenced is indeed a combination of calcium thioglycolate and calcium hydroxide.
    Yup. Calcium hydroxide + thiogycolic acid —> calcium thioglycolate + water