Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Date

Default First Date

I will be going on a date with a girl I met online and it will be my first date ever. I have no ideas what the rules/ proper etiquette dictate. Besides being myslef, opening doors ... ect. what else is there. Also ladies what are the biggest mistakes youve seen guys make on dates?

Lol, I'm 29 and partnered and I still don't know the etiquette! That said, as hard as it will be to do, try to relax and just be yourself. Also, don't be a jerk. The first dates I've been on have usually been a bit less formal, more relaxed, hang out in a coffee shop and converse for awhile, get to know each other sort of thing. If you reall want, you could pull out the chair for her, certainly hold the door, and pay.

I hope it goes well!

All girls are different man, honestly, some girls will be insulted if you don't pay, others will be insulted if you don't let them pay. Some girls like a lot of romantic gestures whereas others find that romantic gwestures are a step to far on a first date. I've been on a few first dates (like 6 or 7) and that's my experience from that, and also from my female friends who have told me all about great or disastrous dates.

Proof of the difference between them is that one girl described to me almost the same date - guy turns up gives flowers, takes her dinner and move similar dishes ordered, guy pays , etc., and one said it was great the other girl said she though it went horribly. So all in all, just be yourself, if she doesn't like you for you, then don't go out with her

As said RELAX ! She is human just like you and just as nervious. Don't think aboud maby getting laid get to know her, ask her a few qustions about what she likes and likes to do and she will likely do all the talking from there on. Pay attention the more you rember the more she is likely to like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder92 View Post
    All girls are different man, honestly, some girls will be insulted if you don't pay, others will be insulted if you don't let them pay. Some girls like a lot of romantic gestures whereas others find that romantic gwestures are a step to far on a first date. I've been on a few first dates (like 6 or 7) and that's my experience from that, and also from my female friends who have told me all about great or disastrous dates.

Proof of the difference between them is that one girl described to me almost the same date - guy turns up gives flowers, takes her dinner and move similar dishes ordered, guy pays , etc., and one said it was great the other girl said she though it went horribly. So all in all, just be yourself, if she doesn't like you for you, then don't go out with her
    This is the key advise. The question isn't if you should open doors and pay. The question is do you feel like you should open doors and pay. It's a sign of who you are as a person, and that comes through as sort of an X-factor for weather she will like you or not. There is no right or wrong answer, so just be yourself. If you're fake now, the truth will come out eventually anyways.

Girls are like wild animals, they're probably more scared of you than you are of them. Just keep in mind that she's probably stressing out about the date as well and try and make it as relaxing as possible. If you're funny try an amusing anecdote, if you aren't so funny just do what feels comfortable for you. Whatever you do, make sure to compliment her on her appearance and have good manners. As others have said, you won't know what she wants from you until you're already out with her so just be yourself and I'm sure everything will work out fine.

On a personal note, I threw up outside the limo on prom night and my date saw and it didn't keep us from having a great night, so take some comfort in the knowledge that even if you think you've totally botched things up you may not have. Good luck on your date!

Zake

It's really difficult to give specific dating advice. My first dates have been anything from making out on my basement floor to fine dining with all the bells and whistles. The majority though involved a movie and cafe.
    That's why everyone just says "be yourself"...you basically just want her to know who you are so you can both evaluate whether you'd be good together as a couple. I think once you are actually with her, you'll instinctively know what to do.

This has been pretty well answered by others so far, but to synthesize:

1: Be a Gentlemen- Most of the time, this, I think, is important (i.e. not selfish, other person first)
    2: Relax- The other person is nervous too
    3: Trust your gut- Place some trust in what you're feeling at the moment
    4: Try, though it can be hard, not to get overly opinionated about any one topic. There are many views on the world...
    5: Have fun- It's easy to tell when someone is having fun; no matter what, enjoy yourself/love yourself

You can always try being creative with date ideas (locations, activities, etc.) but this works for some and not for others. See #3.
    Hope that helped-
    Have a good time!

If you've met her online, hopefully you know a bit about her already (e.g. likes, dislikes, hobbies, etc). Just relax a first date is like just like hanging out with a potential new friend. Be yourself, don't worry about having a "perfect" first date. They never happen, we all know this. Small inconveniences will happen, embarrassing things will be said, and someone is bound to make a small mistake somewhere. Don't worry, the positive things will more than outweigh the negative things. The best advice that someone gave to me one time too was spend an equal time listening as you do talking. Make the other person feel like they are important and the things they say matter, because to them they do. As long as you treat the person fairly, equally, and respect them like you'd want to be respected things should be fine.

Seriously though, just relax, enjoy yourselves, and you will have a good time.

I would have to say it depends on where you plan on going or what you're doing on what the etiquette is.

A good example might be... If you were taking her to a fancy restaurant, it would be polite to open doors or pull out her chair. If you were going ice skating it would be creepy to offer to tie her laces for her.

Generally, do something you're both interested in. Offer to pay, but be ready to split the bill in half. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or her. Do something fun. Fancy restaurants are nice but unless you've got a lot to talk about they're pretty boring and just cost a lot of money. If you're both into outdoors stuff then go for a picnic, or a nice walk.