Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored a Free Baby High Chair

Smile Scored a Free Baby High Chair

Usually I take the trash off to the local county transfer station near the end of the week. Because of my morning schedule this week I had to take it off near the beginning instead. The change of plans worked out great for me! People will set things off to the side they think someone else can use, and sometimes other baby gear items were left on the days I went there. However, usually the items are cheaper models, pretty well messed up, and really not worth salvaging. If no one grabs them by close of business, they get tossed in the truck with everything else. To my surprise, the other morning there was a mid-1980s Graco baby high chair sitting there in VG condition. The chrome frame was still pretty much shiny, plastic tray had no cracks, and vinyl seat and back pads had not a single split or tear. It was in near perfect condition, and with me enjoying regressing with larger baby items, I just had to bring it home...for awhile at least! It's 100% identical to the high chair we already have from when our kids were little. This is our original chair bought in 1986:

(Had to use photos of our original chair because all my camera batteries were dead.)

Only thing it doesn't have is the original rocking horse back pad cover. It was also missing one small rung from the footrest, which doesn't affect it's use whatsoever. Our other high chair shown in these photos is disassembled and wrapped up at present to keep it clean and nice, so it's great to have another all set up and ready to use. It had surface dirt and dust from storage, but cleaned up with soap and water. I also want to go over it with chrome polish to protect the finish, and possibly vinyl conditioner to keep the pad upholstery from getting stiff from age and cracking. Of course, once cleaned up, I couldn't resist trying it out! Hope to get an opportunity to sit in it, pull the tray up, and eat a meal. Still can't believe someone set this nice chair out instead of taking it to a thrift or second hand store. It's too nice to have possibly ended up in that trash truck!
    Last edited by Pramrider; 11-Aug-2011 at 06:35.

Nice find, Pramrider!
    That chair is way too nice to end up in the trash.
    Hell, not even the American Pickers measure up to your picking skills.
    I hope you enjoy your new high chair, and if you give it away or sell it, I hope who ever gets it enjoys it.

Wow, nice find & save there, Pram!! Yeah, it is way too nice to end up getting crushed with the rest of the trash in the back of a garbage truck or buried in a landfill somewhere!! That is a very cute highchair, with the rocking horse, the hearts & the frill around the edges!! Again, nice save!!

Thanks Francis and Icey! Soon as I get a chance to take good pics, I'll replace the photos to show the actual chair I picked up. Even the white safety straps on it are still nice and white...not slopped up from spilled food at all. Doesn't look like the former owners ever used the straps. They don't look long enough to fit around me though. Shame...it would be nice to be strapped in.

~Pramrider

Awww, so cute!

I can probably explain why it didn't end up at a thrift store:

So many thrift stores are turning away baby gear that's over a certain age because of safety concerns. I know a lady who runs a secondhand kids and baby item store and she refuses to take in cribs, playpens and high chairs because there have been so many recalls on them. It sucks.

Thanks, davey22h!

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Awww, so cute!

I can probably explain why it didn't end up at a thrift store:

So many thrift stores are turning away baby gear that's over a certain age because of safety concerns. I know a lady who runs a secondhand kids and baby item store and she refuses to take in cribs, playpens and high chairs because there have been so many recalls on them. It sucks.
    That's probably the case! A couple thrift stores near us used to carry used baby items, but no more. I loved to check those stores out. They do still carry children's toys, even some ride on toys, but no baby items. When I lived up in Baltimore years ago the Goodwill stores were really neat places to find baby items in - strollers, highchairs, walkers, car seats,...you name it.

~Pramrider

would love to see some more pictures. Including how well you fit in it. What a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post
    Thanks, davey22h!

That's probably the case! A couple thrift stores near us used to carry used baby items, but no more. I loved to check those stores out. They do still carry children's toys, even some ride on toys, but no baby items. When I lived up in Baltimore years ago the Goodwill stores were really neat places to find baby items in - strollers, highchairs, walkers, car seats,...you name it.

~Pramrider
    I know, now you rarely find much of anything at the stores around here. They used to sell used baby bottles, but not anymore. Your luck must have rubbed off on me because I found a wonderfully build rocking horse sitting in the trash today. It's built from really strong wood so I can even ride on it. I took it home and painted a face on it.

Quote Originally Posted by abmikey2 View Post
    would love to see some more pictures. Including how well you fit in it. What a great find.
    Soon as I get my batteries recharged I will post pics of the actual chair I picked up. Not sure about a pic of me in it...the battery compartment door on my old digital has to be held shut while shooting pics because the latch broke. I really need to see about getting a replacement camera soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I know, now you rarely find much of anything at the stores around here. They used to sell used baby bottles, but not anymore. Your luck must have rubbed off on me because I found a wonderfully build rocking horse sitting in the trash today. It's built from really strong wood so I can even ride on it. I took it home and painted a face on it.
    Ooh...please post a photo of it if you get a chance. Nice find on your part, too!

~Pramrider