Thread: Diaper Pinning problem....

Question Diaper Pinning problem....

My first prefold cloth diapers are here... but apparently I'm totally stupid at pinning them. ^_^ lol I've looked at websites screenshots and everything, but for some reason, every time I put the pin through, the front and the back part decide to pull to each end of the pin and become un-snug.... It ends up that the length of the pin is how loose the diaper ends up, because the two sides of the cloth only decide to go to each end of it... I don't want them just hanging there. What am I doing wrong here?

Which way are you orienting the pins?

If you orient them to run along your waist line, there will be room for the fabric to pull apart. Instead, orient them from head-to-toe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinning.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	5346

Are the pins ----- or |
    |
    |?
    To keep it from getting loose you will want to go through the material twice and you want it top to bottom, not side to side. Doing this for all 4 pins can be rough, but it assures a snug fit. I hope that helps

I use those snappi fasteners cause i couldn't get the whole pining thing and they work well i have now tried the snappi then pin kida double protection

I assume you are overlapping one corner on top of the other corner? Then pin all the way through so that part of the pin could ostensibly be against your skin, and then up through the diaper about an inch away, depending on the size of the pin.

Are you using big enough pins? Not all are the same and length matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    Are you using big enough pins? Not all are the same and length matters.
    i agree with this. i used to use just baby's nappy pins and they were buggers for coming undone due to the extra material and strain put upon them.
    getting adult nappy pins was a boon.

Quote Originally Posted by irataliw View Post
    Are the pins ----- or |
    |
    |?
    To keep it from getting loose you will want to go through the material twice and you want it top to bottom, not side to side. Doing this for all 4 pins can be rough, but it assures a snug fit. I hope that helps
    I see... never thought of going up and down, lol. Going through the material twice sounds like a good idea... What I ended up doing was going through the middle layers and not all the way through the fabric and back through and tightening it too tight so when I put the pin through it could loosen to what I wanted... But that was causing marks. Though experimenting with going through a few layers but not all the way through works to slow down the shifting, I'll try vertical and twice through next time.

Also I am using adult diaper pins...got a whole bagfull a quite a while ago, on ebay....Just never found a good enough price for the cloth prefolds that it didn't make sense not to go with the velcro ones until now. Also, not going all the way through I find is more comfortable because it doesn't touch my skin, but the bottom ones pull more than the top ones and it does make marks... ??? Also, I'm just waiting on my snappis to come in... I didnt want to wait to try the prefolds though, hehe.