Thread: Lost the man I thought of as Dad

Default Lost the man I thought of as Dad

God bless those who serve us in need.

I've been at Hospice House since Midnight watching my Grandfather take what will be his last breaths. He raised me as one of his sons and now I have the misfortune of seeing the ravages of a three year battle with cancer.

Have you ever come to the point that there are simply no more tears to shed?

Bless those of you who find small ways of comforting those for whom there is no solice.

Last edited by Khaymen; 04-Aug-2011 at 17:08.

I'm so sorry for you're loss. I know how hard it is to watch someone you love suffer so much </3. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cancer?

Sorry for your loss ,it must feel hard having someone you dearly love suffer and die .

My deepest sympathy and condolences for you and the loss of your Grandfather. Be safe in knowing that he will be going to a better place away from pain and suffering.

I'm so sorry Khaymen. Yes, I watched my mother die from cancer over several months of time. She was in a coma for over a month, and then one day when I was sitting in her room, she suddenly came out of it. I brought her up to date with all the things that were happening in my life, wife, young son, moving into a new house. We had bought the house to accommodate her, but it never happened. She was an amazing person, very brave and a strong sense that she was going to a better place, a place where there was no pain and suffering, and living for all eternity.

After this amazing hour, she went back to sleep, never to wake again. Two weeks before Christmas we got the phone call, early in the morning. She saw the other side, and knew where she was going. She genuinely was not afraid. Rest assured you will see your grandfather again, and under much better circumstances. God bless you.

Thank you all for your support.

To answer a question he had lung cancer. We thought it odd, because he hadn’t smoked since the Korean War and wasn’t around things folks associate with getting lung cancer. The cancer metastasized to his brain and bones over its course. Thankfully the cancer in his brain didn’t develop at a rate fast enough to alter his personality.

He passed peacefully in his sleep a few hours ago with his wife and children present. He counted me among his children as my Dad never cared enough to put forth the effort, and he was more than willing to take the job.

It may sound odd but, I just lost my Dad and my world will never be the same.

Even though you don't know me and I don't know you, I feel for you...
    I can tell you that I am very empathetic toward people who lose those that are close to them. I've personally lost more than my fair share of people that were close to me. Everything from significant others, to best friends, to close relatives, I've lost many of them. I know its cliché to say that you can take solace in the idea/fact they are in a better place, but it still doesn't make it 100 percent better. It helps, but tthe memories and the hurt will remain for a while. I'm sorry you're going through something that is not easy. One thing that helped me everytime when I lost someone very close to me is writing down the things that I learned about life from them, and what I most enjoyed about their company. Each time this happened to me it kind of became theraputic and a life defining moment for me. I found that after making it through the hurt and the painful, but happy, memories I came out a better and stronger person. Those that leave us physically never truly leave our hearts and our memories; their lives they shared with us, their memories, and their lessons become part of us in many ways after they're gone.

I've been through many many many losses like you're going through now, if you would like someone to talk to who has been where you are now many times please feel free to message me. I'm always more than willing to talk to people and help them through these kinds of losses because I know its not easy.

My grandfather died from cancer aswell. I know how you feel, but i never got to speak to him for those three years he had it. But i guess it will happen to all of us at one point, so i know he is happy on the other side and i hope yours is too. But i'm sorry for your loss.

Khaymen, I can certainly empathize with you, and I'm saddened also in hearing of your loss of a loved one. It's particularly hard on your emotions when the family member is someone you've been very close to, like you were to your Grandfather, and he was to you. It will take time to get past your loss, but try to think of all the good times you shared together. I'm sure he really appreciated your loving support during those last difficult days. You were there for him when he needed you most, just as he was there for you when you were growing up. You can take comfort in knowing he isn't suffering anymore.

Khaymen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. It sounded like he had a beautiful life - and both generous and kind enough to share it with you. I hope that you can find some measure of comfort in the coming days.

Be well,