Thread: what does it mean

Default what does it mean

If someone is paralyzed from waist down, I assume this means they are incontinent too?

I think it depends - waist down is more of a saying really. The bladder may still work, even if they can't move their legs.

Like eeyore had said, it's depends on the location point of the paralyzing. I had spinal anaesthesia when I had my surgery in 2009. I remember when I woke up, the anaesthesia haven't wore off yet and I can't feel my legs at all and I had catheter inserted. Seriously, it feels like I have no legs but I often pats down there so I can be aware that I still have them. Also, obviously, it's high enough to include temporary bladder loss. It feels weird though.

Agree - it's all a question of definition - someone who has lost the use of their legs for some reason related to their bones or leg muscles may well be referred to as being paralysed, but internal organs and nervous control systems might still be operative. This probably wouldn't amount to a dictionary definition of paralysis, but in everyday speech we are not usually talking with scientific accuracy.

I think the form of paralysis you ar ereferring to would be some form of traumatic spinal chord injury, this in effect cuts or badly affects the nerve signals fromthe point of the taruma or injury down, however, unless it is full sever of the chord, incontinence is not a foregone conclusion, it will usually affect bladder and/or bowels but some people don't have IC problems, in much the same way that Paralysed men and women can become fathers and mothers, it depends on where the injury is and the severity of the damage. SO a low Lumbar injury probably wouldn't cause IC, while a Mid or High Thoracic will almost 100% guarentee double incontinence. Hope that helps a little

It would also depend on the location of the spine injury. It it's around T6 then most likely yes but say if it's in the lower lumbar or above then it's still possible to not be incontinent - but could still have "functional incontinence" (physically unable to make it to the restroom in time). That isn't saying they still can't hold it tho.

The other kind of situation is with degenerative conditions - like multiple sclerosis where you may be fine for years after diagnosis (well not fine but able to live pretty normally) but then become increasingly less able to walk or retain continence. I think that being in this situation ad seeing your ability to do things slowly ebb away is particularly demanding and difficult - with incontinence being very ahrd to come to terms with in this situation.