Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step-Sibling Love...

Default Step-Sibling Love...

... I'm currently watching a TV programme on this topic - it is not something I'm undertaking personally!

Technically, two step-siblings having sex etc is incest.

But the technical argument can be picked apart on one component that seems to vary from continent to continent, culture to culture.

Some say incest defines only blood relatives engaging in sexual activity. Whereas others clarify it as an act of sexual activity between any two close members of a family.

So how do you see it, between step-siblings?
    Does the "You can't help who you fall in love with..." cliché apply here?
    Or the "Each to their own...", "Behind closed doors..." attitude?

Or do you agree that it's illegal/perverted and should continue to be regarded with contempt?

Personally, I find the idea uncomfortable, probably because, although they're unrelated, there is that attachment of a sibling term. Brother... Sister... And that morphs into lover? Husband? Wife? Heh - it doesn't sit right with me.

That said, since they're not blood-related, I see no real reason why they shouldn't begin a relationship. It isn't inbreeding - their kids would not turn out with mental or physical deficiencies as a result - nor is it harming anyone else. It is really just two strangers being brought together by a different set of circumstances. And I cannot ignore my own morals on being judgemental, so I maintain my personal belief that people can, and will, love who they want.

Thoughts...?
    Last edited by DanDanSuperman; 23-Jul-2011 at 20:59.

Peachy

I just checked the German criminal code, and it explicitly states that it's illegal only for blood relatives. As such, there wouldn't be any legal problems.

However, I would assume it's kind of odd to be a family/siblings after they'Ve slept with each other. I can't see people getting over the awkwardness. Can you be a family member again in situations of, say, brushing your teeth while the other family member is showering in the same room, or even having a family dinner without thinking of the step sibling in a sexual way?

Peachy

Just to expand the topic further... It's been proven that children growing up in close company from a young age cannot develop sexual attractions for each other - literally genetics stopping inbreeding. This also meant non-blood children wouldn't develop an attraction either - very prevalent in closed communities like the Amish.

So what this means is if you are introduced to a member of the opposite sex after this "blinker period", it is possible to develop an attraction, blood or no blood. In fact, there are cases of siblings put up for adoption meeting in the future, only to get married and then find out when attempting to procreate.

Now, ignoring the physical act, is it actually wrong until you find out? Or is it just two strangers in love?

As for step siblings, I would take into account the situation in the home. If you grew up with them from a young age, the genetic block should happen. If it is from a later age, they may fall in love. I would say if they meet as old teenagers or later, it shouldn't be wrong - more like housemates developing a thing for each other.

If they met as primary/secondary school pupils, it should be noticed by parents and dissuaded. That is simply as it would be expected for them to be sharing a childhood together.

I wonder if I should be thinking this way... I never realised it was legally incest though!

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Just to expand the topic further... It's been proven that children growing up in close company from a young age cannot develop sexual attractions for each other - literally genetics stopping inbreeding. This also meant non-blood children wouldn't develop an attraction either - very prevalent in closed communities like the Amish.

So what this means is if you are introduced to a member of the opposite sex after this "blinker period", it is possible to develop an attraction, blood or no blood. In fact, there are cases of siblings put up for adoption meeting in the future, only to get married and then find out when attempting to procreate.

Now, ignoring the physical act, is it actually wrong until you find out? Or is it just two strangers in love?

As for step siblings, I would take into account the situation in the home. If you grew up with them from a young age, the genetic block should happen. If it is from a later age, they may fall in love. I would say if they meet as old teenagers or later, it shouldn't be wrong - more like housemates developing a thing for each other.

If they met as primary/secondary school pupils, it should be noticed by parents and dissuaded. That is simply as it would be expected for them to be sharing a childhood together.

I wonder if I should be thinking this way... I never realised it was legally incest though!
    Aha! Interesting! I hadn't researched it enough to find that information out... And each of the 'couples' on this program originated from mid-to-late teens, or from a claimed younger age but seeing the sibling very, very infrequently until late teens, early twenties.

Reassuring to think, though, that Mother Nature has factored in humans' ability to twist, invent and justify new rules and scenarios, and so installed a natural preventative.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    Aha! Interesting! I hadn't researched it enough to find that information out... And each of the 'couples' on this program originated from mid-to-late teens, or from a claimed younger age but seeing the sibling very, very infrequently until late teens, early twenties.

Reassuring to think, though, that Mother Nature has factored in humans' ability to twist, invent and justify new rules and scenarios, and so installed a natural preventative.
    Mmm. It's called Westermark Effect. It may also lie behind the hostility (girls/boys are smelly/yucky/have cooties/etc) that usually exists between pre-pubescent girls and boys - a psychological mechanism preventing children from getting to close to one another until they are old enough to find a mate outside the family group. You may also want to have a read of this entry - Genetic Sexual Attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    Technically, two step-siblings having sex etc is incest.
    Quite the contrary, two step-siblings having sex is technically not incest. It's the emotional/social component that makes it incest.

Can you imagine the wedding? Everyone would be on one side of the church.

Are you family of the bride or the groom?

Yes

Ah this made my night.
    Thank you!

Quite the contrary, two step-siblings having sex is technically not incest. It's the emotional/social component that makes it incest.
    From Dictionary.com...
    Incest | Define Incest at Dictionary.com

From Wikipedia (first sentence)
    Incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fact, if you ask Google to find you a definition, it'll agree with either me, or both of us. So I'm not exactly wrong

I think that people should be free to do with their bodies what they wish so long as their decisions to do so are made without coercion. If two step siblings want to have sex, or for that matter regular siblings, then that's no skin off my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I think that people should be free to do with their bodies what they wish so long as their decisions to do so are made without coercion. If two step siblings want to have sex, or for that matter regular siblings, then that's no skin off my nose.
    The only thing is incest will be likely to cause genetic abnormalities - in my opinion, it's not fair to knowingly create a child with severe disadvantages.