Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sperm Donation...

Default Sperm Donation...

.... Now, it's not something I'm thinking about doing, but it got my mind going...

I mean, I know it's quite a selfless thing, to offer up something you may have no need for in order to provide for people who cannot manage it themselves. But personally, the potential consequences terrify me.

A kid? Rocking up in eighteen years and claiming they're mine? Ugh. The akwardness, the embarrassment... The inconvenience... I could have my own family by then, or still be as selfish as I am now...

And being quite a sensitive, emotional person with a rather destructive "all-or-nothing" mentality and approach to things, I worry that I could not build any kind of relationship with this person, since I missed out on them growing up - something I would much rather be part of.

But... This is all just from my point-of-view... There are others. Like the child's. Will they ever know they were just a donation? And their Father isn't their father? I believe they really should be told, but it's an individual choice...

So yeah... Have you ever donated sperm? Would you? And why? What do you make of the whole idea?

Replies appreciated!

Dan x

Being Jewish, the part required to perform the process of donation is missing, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

-Gabe

Just to clarify your concerns - in the UK as it stands, if you donate sperm they take your details so they can inform you of any offspring. If said offspring try to find their father through the agency, they contact you again and ask your permission to send on details. So they won't be running up in eighteen years unless you allow them!

Another interesting fact, if you are an offspring from a donation, it is recommended you contact the agency when you plan to marry someone, in case it transpires you are related!

As for whether I'd do it - no. Simply because I am planning to have a family myself. It's not that I am being selfish, it's just that I'd want to raise my own flesh and blood, so I couldn't cope with knowing there was a child somewhere that was mine that I had no contact with. Although, if I was female I would consider surrogate to a zygote, simply as it is a near selfless act without a genetic relationship tied in.

Personally, I don't think you should be paid for donating sperm either - I know they do it to encourage donations, but it just seems a little bit sordid really... and encouraging a concentration in the gene pool - although I assume there's a limit on the number of possible donations!

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GabeIsWinning View Post
    Being Jewish, the part required to perform the process of donation is missing, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

-Gabe
    Unless I'm incredibly naive here, how does being Jewish stop you ejaculating? You've not been castrated, right?

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Unless I'm incredibly naive here, how does being Jewish stop you ejaculating? You've not been castrated, right?
    I thought this, too.
    That isn't my understanding of being Jewish...

---------- Post added 21-07-2011 at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was 20-07-2011 at 23:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Just to clarify your concerns - in the UK as it stands, if you donate sperm they take your details so they can inform you of any offspring. If said offspring try to find their father through the agency, they contact you again and ask your permission to send on details. So they won't be running up in eighteen years unless you allow them!

Another interesting fact, if you are an offspring from a donation, it is recommended you contact the agency when you plan to marry someone, in case it transpires you are related!

Personally, I don't think you should be paid for donating sperm either - I know they do it to encourage donations, but it just seems a little bit sordid really... and encouraging a concentration in the gene pool - although I assume there's a limit on the number of possible donations!
    The bold: Now there's a thought... All kinds of problems could arise!
    The italics: Yeah 'ff'...? Surely there are other ways of tracking you down. I know my agency profile would be vague, but I'd wager there are still clues and methods of finding me!

Anyway, thankyou for addressing my concerns. Ultimately, my stance remains anyway, coincidentally for much the same reason as you. Were I to start my own family, I wouldn't be able to forget that there was a person out there that I made... And I'd hate to have to explain that to my own kids if they ever met each other!

I also agree that payment is crude. People should do it of their own generous freewill, and not expect cash reward. It kind of dilutes the whole idea, and, as a literal person, makes me feel like I'm selling my seed, which is ultimately selling my child.

LittleDrummerGirl

I think what Gabe meant is in the Torah, it says the same thing as the bible (I think): "Spilling your seed" is not allowed. I am Jewish, but this is just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaret246 View Post
    I think what Gabe meant is in the Torah, it says the same thing as the bible (I think): "Spilling your seed" is not allowed. I am Jewish, but this is just my guess.
    Then... What does he mean by a 'missing part'...?
    He makes it sound like he's lost his penis...!

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanSuperman View Post
    Then... What does he mean by a 'missing part'...?
    Not sure. Maybe he got his "little baby factory" removed if you know what I mean. But I don't think that would have anything to do with judaism.

Not sure. Maybe he got his "little baby factory" removed if you know what I mean. But I don't think that would have anything to do with judaism.
    Indeed, hence the confusion. Gabe, we wait with baited breath for your reply!

"little baby factory" - The most awesome euphemism for testicles I think I've ever heard. Fact.

And exactly... I wasn't aware Judaism practised full castration! :-/

Out of interest, does spilling your seed to start a family count as a good deed or a sin?