View Poll Results: What is your Opinion about Divorce?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Never an Option, Not Ever!!

2 3.85%
  • It's an Option, but... It's a Last Resort.

34 65.38%
  • People Change, Nothing Wrong with It.

16 30.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Divorce Poll

Default The Divorce Poll

My parents divorced when I was around 3 and I never saw my mom again which had a lasting effect on me. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about divorce through a poll.

Same here, although it was Dad whom I saw occasionally until I was 8, then not again until I saw him in his casket about a month before my 12th birthday. You could say there was a lasting effect.

I think divorce is terrible! It rips families apart, leaving the children wondering what's going on.

People should, instead of divorcing right away, try to make their marriage work. No one said marriage would be peachy all the time.

I mean, if you discover your spouse is cheating on you, or starts abusing you or the children, maybe. But only as a very last resort!

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Same here, although it was Dad whom I saw occasionally until I was 8, then not again until I saw him in his casket about a month before my 12th birthday. You could say there was a lasting effect.
    my god! are you ok.. that would mess anybody up... sorry about that..

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    I think divorce is terrible! It rips families apart, leaving the children wondering what's going on.

People should, instead of divorcing right away, try to make their marriage work. No one said marriage would be peachy all the time.

I mean, if you discover your spouse is cheating on you, or starts abusing you or the children, maybe. But only as a very last resort!
    Yeah!! the worst is when the parents make their child/children pick sides and play one against the other..

Butterfly Mage

My dad is on his 4th wife because he is a big fan of adultery. He's also violent. So it's not a recipe for long marriages.

Divorce can be hard on everyone, but sometimes parents staying together can be just as damaging.

Honestly, if a relationship isn't working out anymore at all - split up.. I mean there's no sense in making each others lives miserable on a daily basis.

Now on the other hand - I personally view marriage as quite unnecessary, useless and quite frankly sometimes to the point where I think it's stupid (personal opinion).
    I mean it doesn't add depth or any other advantage to the relationship. it doesn't make it stronger imho nor does it say anything about trust.
    It simplifies certain legal aspects if you live together, but quite frankly nothing which couldn't be taken car just as well, without getting married.
    So as I would not want to marry anyways I see no need for divorces either but I have split up with previous girlfriends and it was a good thing to have the option.
    So I don't see, why someone who would marry, should have no opt-out.
    People change, life changes... and sometimes things move too far apart to work

PS: don't get me wrong: if anyone wants to marry, fine with me... I don't want to "insult" anyone... the stuff above is my personal opinion for myself and marriage... doesn't adhere to anyone else quite probably... also if marriage is your kind of thing, go for it...
    it's just myself who doesn't see any value in it.

PS2: to those who think divorce is a bad thing:
    what would you prefer as a child: to live in a place where your parents fight day by day and make "home" a living hell or to have them split up.
    and I think it's fair enough that from a certain age on, a child should in that case have some say with whom it wants to live...

My parents broken. My ex destroyed my life... Wtf Ive done wrongly ?

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    my god! are you ok.. that would mess anybody up... sorry about that..
    Time heals all wounds. It was 25 years ago.

Meanwhile, I fought tooth and nail to keep a dead marriage together to prevent same from happening to my son, but I realized, in the end, that the kid was getting more torn up by the constant yelling and screaming than he would have from us just not living together anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Time heals all wounds. It was 25 years ago.

Meanwhile, I fought tooth and nail to keep a dead marriage together to prevent same from happening to my son, but I realized, in the end, that the kid was getting more torn up by the constant yelling and screaming than he would have from us just not living together anymore.
    You have a son!! soo cute!! Yes, I think you are right..2 happy homes are better then 1 unhappy one. Thank you for sharing.