Thread: Excel VBA--simple question about editor interface

Default Excel VBA--simple question about editor interface

Hello ADISC,

After having spent several years on this forum, I've come to understand how much many of you know about computers. I'd like to ask a simple question (no, I'm not going to ask you to write my code for me) about the user interface of the Excel VBA editor, and if you could please give me your best answer I would be most thankful.

Anyway, I've been trying to teach myself VBA for a summer research project, but I've been getting hooked on a small yet important detail: actually testing my code in the editor.

For whatever reason (it doesn't matter what code I've written), whenever I try to "run" my code (by clicking the green icon or pressing F5), a "Macros" dialogue box (see attached) pops up instead.

This wasn't a problem when I could test my code with the Workbook_Open event, but I've been needing to move on for quite a while now. I've spent several hours across several days trying to figure this out myself--both in books and the Internet--but nobody says anything beyond "...just press run and you should see..."

It is infuriating, and I feel that I've run out of options.

I'm sure this is a simple problem probably associated with the settings or something, so if you could please offer me a reason for why this might be happening and how I could fix it and move on with my research I would be very very grateful.

Sincerest Regards,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	5113

Hi Kif,

It's been a very long time since I last even saw VBA, however I seem to recall that VBA macros have to be triggered by seLecting them from the 'Macros' dialog or by a button press (either keyboard or from the menus, whichever you set it up to use). Looking at your code, I would guess the reason your sub doesn't appear in the Macros dialog is that it's a private one. Private subs can only be called from within the code (so by other subs) and aren't exposed "public ally" as I recall.

It's been a long time though, so I could be wrong. MSDN is a excellent resource for any Microsoft programming, this page may be useful for you as a jumping off point for finding more useful stuff;

Getting Started with VBA in Excel 2010

Hope this helps

Thanks, Chrisb.

Setting the code to public didn't run to code, either (or at least it didn't appear to; the dialogue box still popped up)

However, I'll make use of the link you've provided me; hopefully, I'll find an answer there!