ID:	5087

6. River Travel around the World

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	major_rivers.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	5088

Any interesting Map facts please share.

I've been a big fan of maps since I was a kid. I actually have a collection of old road maps, mostly Michigan maps, dating back to 1921. I also do digital cartography as a hobby, although I haven't completed anything lately because, well, it takes a long damn time and work and class and house and everything else has gotten in the way. that said, here's the first thing I did. I've since framed it, as at full size it's 18x24 inches, and it hangs on my dining room wall as am artwork.

Also, have you ever seen "Caught Mapping"? It's on one of the Internet archive sites, and it's a really neat look at road map making from the late-'40s, at the height of the free oil company road map era. Check it out if you haven't already.

Have to know where I'm going, otherwise I'll be lost.
    Then again, thats quite fun too.

Most definitely for as long as I can remember. A simple map of the world is enough to spark my imagination about what those little markings actually represent in real life; how the places look like and feel, the culture of the people there along with the languages that they speak and their history. They're also pretty handy too

Geography was one of my favorite subjects in school, so not surprisingly I loved maps. When I was young, my favorite thing about long car trips was looking at the map to see where we were going. I also found it interesting to look for the various different colors and line types used to distinguish types of highways.

One of my favorite sites with maps is this one: Historical Atlas of the 20th Century. It has a lot of fascinating maps on a variety of topics, along with a bit of commentary on them. Too bad it only covers the 20th Century.

Google maps/earth is the bomb!
    There are others but im too lazy to go look them up right naow

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gotta love maps i love studying them

anyone know where you can get a map with only the rivers and lakes of the world. That would be interesting to see and i am talking about natraul rivers not manmade rivers and lakes.

On an off topic note: dont you love how my status was reset.....

I love maps and geography too. Google Maps/Earth rocks my socks!

Oh wow, I thought I am only one who love maps and geography. I was very wrong then. :P

I am very great in geography and enjoy it very much. I often look at google maps and street views for fun. Hard to pick what's my favourite. However, there is one of my favourite TV mistake that involves maps. One episode of That '70s Show when they travelled to Canada. Inside the border station scenes, you can see map of Canada in background and that shows it have Nunavut territory on it. The territory was created in 1999, and obviously, it doesn't exist back in 1978.