Thread: Most awesome game characters

Default Most awesome game characters

Right, another game topic. Name your top "most awesome game characters"!.. so this is about the characters themselves, not the games. For instance, I really love playing Gran Turismo, but my driver doesn't count. I enjoy Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Mass Effect; but a lot of the character is built by myself. I guess my choices aren't very original, and I am sure people will say "you don't have X, he/she is awesome" but that is only good, because it would give me a reason to look at a new game or discuss. I personally chose characters who, to me, are deep and I connected with in the sense that I could not put the game down because of the story. Also; I usually play (j)RPGs and more action/adventury games such as MGS, Uncharted etc, not shooters or GTA like games, personal preference and I am sure there are characters I forgot about.

1 & 2. Cloud Strife and Sephiroth
    I doubt I am very original, but still, numbers 1. and 2. are both from Final Fantasy VII. It was the first game I got absolutely addicted to and totally immersed myself in. I finished it 6-7 times and managed to get everything in the game. I still play it every now and then for nostalgia's sake. The story was amazing, I really loved the gameplay (and the jRPG genre was very new to me and this made it accessible), the music was great and it contained a battle between two of my favourite game characters; Cloud Strife, the main protagonist of the story; great character building, not-perfect and a badass big-ass sword. Then on the other side Sephiroth, the main antagonist, evil but with some reasoning, intelligent, strong, powerful. I absolutely loved the scene where he walks through the flames. And what I like about that story line is that Squaresoft (and later Square-Enix) created additions to this story which, to me, only improved it (Crisis Core, Last Order, Advent Children) and showed a lot of background to their characters psyche. Great stuff. I was also thinking about choosing Auron, from FFX (which wasn't nearly as good, but Auron is an awesome character; again with a massive sword... perhaps I am compensating for something)

3. Solid Snake (or Naked Snake?)
    The second game on my PS1 I completely played to death and it's pre/sequels on PS2 and PS3, Metal Gear Solid. I played the original Metal Gear's before, enjoyed them but they weren't the sneaking-game revelation that Metal Gear Solid was. Aside from great gameplay it had an amazing story, a story that gripped me from the start. I love the character Solid Snake and whilst writing this I am realising I like him more than MGS3's Naked Snake; who eventually turned into Big Boss (which is also a great story line by the way, and Peace Walker was an amazing PSP game and I believe is coming to PS3). But Solid is inherently good, everything for the good of the country and he feels closer to me than Big Boss, so I am choosing Solid Snake. To be fair, MGS4's version of Raiden comes close to this too.

4.Nathan Drake
    I had to think about this for a long time. There are plenty of games I enjoy playing and some that have really affected me, but not all of them had characters that were close to me. I have been playing games for many years now and started with the original NES system (although I only got it when it wasn't for sale new anymore). The series I have played most over the years was the Final Fantasy series, which has become less good now and characters haven't been nearly as cool as they were. I now own a PS3 and that has some brilliant games too, but I find it difficult to think which character I like best. Anyway, I went with Nathan Drake. The Uncharted series was my biggest game-suprise of the last years and I have absolutely loved it. Similar to the games above this game had both a great gameplay and a great story + an awesome lead-character. Nathan Drake's character is great, life like, funny, charismatic and easy to connect with and therefore in my top 5.

5. Lara Croft
    Difficult one here, but I went for Lara Croft. She caused a revelation in gaming when Tomb Raider came out and she is still around. I loved the games and loved Lara. I even remember uncles and even my grandfather talking about her. I remember going to my friends place because he had TR1 on his PC. It was my first PS1 game. Nowadays I am less interested in it, but it meant a lot for me in the past and I think Lara Croft is definitely a gaming hero. I guess I cheated a little because her character was less interesting to, but still she is an all-time "awesome game character".

Runners-up; FFVI, Kefka; FFVIII's Squall; FFXs Auron; RDR, John Marston; Assassin's Creed II/BH, Ezzio di Auditore; MGS1, Psycho Mantis; Zelda, Link; GoW, Kratos, Mario; Mario and of course many others.

I don't see Captain Price or "Soap" McTavish. These two badasses are at least Runners-Up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dante_transparent.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	5076
    dante from devil may cry is one beacuse i conect with him and his stuggles

Name:	Zack_Fair.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	5077
    zack fair for saving cloud's and aerith's life

Name:	9-vivi-c.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	5078
    and Vivi for his life story of trying to be different from the other black mages

Rockman (aka Mega Man).

He is the most awesome video game character ever.

I even have a tattoo of him.