Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I posting too many Topics?

Default Am I posting too many Topics?

Fire2Box says i am posting too many topic?

here is Fire2Box quote:

" Think you might be getting confused with "lifeisabeach" or maybe dragsnick.

(seriously, those two make so many topics.) "

If I am annoying people I'll stop posting and just watch in the corner. I am new to the site and am trying to get to know everyone and myself as well.

This is the first social networking site I have seriously joined, so I guess I don't know the etiquette that well.

I though that the site wanted people to be proactive and not just sit there and not participate.

It is up to you guys..because i am just a newcomer, but it is hard to be yourself if you are getting criticized and/or being penalized for posting too many posts.

i say post as many as u like after all the more you put in to the site the more you get out of it don't let 1 person put u down i have only used this site for i think 4 days but my post count is almost 30 not a big deal

love your avatar retroboy!! i think i even made a comment about it in one of the games!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    love your avatar retroboy!! i think i even made a comment about it in one of the games!
    thank you i was considering changing it to a pic of mr snuggles my teddy

Just looking over your 33 threads brightened my day. You remind me of a 4 year old asking... "Why?" every 5 minutes. And while that might sound insulting. I LOVE IT!!!

I was like that from about 4-10 and never really outgrew it. There are a lot of 'stuck-up' people on here, which you will find in any public setting. And even though the primary purpose of ADISC is support, it is a great place to have fun, too. Some people need to remember that. In fact, you helped me remember that.

So i say, unless it breaks the rules... post away!

There is nothing wrong with making lots of posts, as long as they are bringing something new to a discussion. So I only get annoyed when people post something like "I agree", or "I like this", or "me too" etc. etc.

As for making lots of threads, I present the following analogy:

You're sat around chatting with mates, discussing the new Harry Potter film (for example). Everyone is having a healthy discussion over it, probably got a bit of scope left for a longer discussion. One friend then starts a new topic to be discussed - favourite type of pasta. Everyone starts discussing it, but then this friend asks everyone where their best holiday has ever been. So people start discussing that. But then the friend asks what the best car is at the moment, so the discussion changes again. The thing is, the friend rarely inputs anything more than the change in topic - once everyone starts discussing it, they start a new topic, rather than inputting into the current one.

Of course, this breaks down on a forum slightly as there are concurrent discussions, rather than just one. But the principle still stands - in my opinion it's good etiquette to contribute more than simply a first post to start a thread; perhaps comment on someone's post, shift the discussion slightly within the same topic area, add an extra question. By posting multiple threads in quick succession, it gives the impression that you aren't really interested in the responses, you just want to start a thread and then start a new one asap.

Now, just to present a balanced viewpoint, if each thread generates healthy discussion, series of differing opinions, then yes, create lots of them. But give each thread time to mature before starting another one. Remember, this is a forum - threads have a certain delay to them before they get replies, due to time differences etc. The site's chat function may be better suited to lots of quick questions.

However, credit to you for trying to get involved and participate - that's commendable behaviour. But perhaps try to contribute a lot to other threads that are active too?

EDIT - ABAlex makes a good point, there is a definite persona of a young child asking anything that comes into their head. And I guess my opinions come from being old before my time; perhaps I should embrace the younger nature of the forum. I guess it boils down to compromise - some of us who prefer a longer discussion with less fragmenting need to take a step back and appreciate other members want the quick fire randomness of your threads. But also appreciate some of us prefer to see threads develop before the next one is posted...

I hope I haven't seemed too logical or cold with my reply - a lot of it will boil down to individual opinions on forum etiquette - and not a reflection on you as an individual!

*hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    Just looking over your 33 threads brightened my day. You remind me of a 4 year old asking... "Why?" every 5 minutes. And while that might sound insulting. I LOVE IT!!!

I was like that from about 4-10 and never really outgrew it. There are a lot of 'stuck-up' people on here, which you will find in any public setting. And even though the primary purpose of ADISC is support, it is a great place to have fun, too. Some people need to remember that. In fact, you helped me remember that.

So i say, unless it breaks the rules... post away!
    Thanks ABalex my eyes got watery when I was reading your reply!!

Your topics are mostly substantive, and some have generated good discussions. That said, in your rush to post threads (33 in ~10 days), you've also posted a few that have had to be closed, and I'm left with the impression that some of your threads could have been improved if you'd focused more on fewer of them.

I think your enthusiasm is awesome, and I'm really, genuinely glad to see it. That said, I think channeling it into more focus on fewer threads might do more to bring high-quality discussion to ADISC at large.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    There is nothing wrong with making lots of posts, as long as they are bringing something new to a discussion. So I only get annoyed when people post something like "I agree", or "I like this", or "me too" etc. etc.

As for making lots of threads, I present the following analogy:

You're sat around chatting with mates, discussing the new Harry Potter film (for example). Everyone is having a healthy discussion over it, probably got a bit of scope left for a longer discussion. One friend then starts a new topic to be discussed - favourite type of pasta. Everyone starts discussing it, but then this friend asks everyone where their best holiday has ever been. So people start discussing that. But then the friend asks what the best car is at the moment, so the discussion changes again. The thing is, the friend rarely inputs anything more than the change in topic - once everyone starts discussing it, they start a new topic, rather than inputting into the current one.

Of course, this breaks down on a forum slightly as there are concurrent discussions, rather than just one. But the principle still stands - in my opinion it's good etiquette to contribute more than simply a first post to start a thread; perhaps comment on someone's post, shift the discussion slightly within the same topic area, add an extra question. By posting multiple threads in quick succession, it gives the impression that you aren't really interested in the responses, you just want to start a thread and then start a new one asap.

Now, just to present a balanced viewpoint, if each thread generates healthy discussion, series of differing opinions, then yes, create lots of them. But give each thread time to mature before starting another one. Remember, this is a forum - threads have a certain delay to them before they get replies, due to time differences etc. The site's chat function may be better suited to lots of quick questions.

However, credit to you for trying to get involved and participate - that's commendable behaviour. But perhaps try to contribute a lot to other threads that are active too?

EDIT - ABAlex makes a good point, there is a definite persona of a young child asking anything that comes into their head. And I guess my opinions come from being old before my time; perhaps I should embrace the younger nature of the forum. I guess it boils down to compromise - some of us who prefer a longer discussion with less fragmenting need to take a step back and appreciate other members want the quick fire randomness of your threads. But also appreciate some of us prefer to see threads develop before the next one is posted...

I hope I haven't seemed too logical or cold with my reply - a lot of it will boil down to individual opinions on forum etiquette - and not a reflection on you as an individual!

*hugs*

Thank you for writing so much. You are a very good writer!! I understand what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Thank you for writing so much. You are a very good writer!! I understand what you are saying.
    No problem, I sometimes write a lot, but I try to make a point as succinctly as possible to avoid causing offence.

May I add, it's nice to see a member not being scared off by criticism, then dealing with it head on without sounding like they are inherently complaining about it! But I also hope these replies have given you food for thought for the future - I lookg forward to your continued presence here.