Thread: Tour de France

Default Tour de France

French Farmers support the Tour de France.

I'm not much of a race fan, be it bicycles, cars, or feet, but I have to admit this is impressive.

I almost watched some of the Tour de France, what about you guys, did anyone watch some of the race?

I am very much a Tour de France-watcher and I dilligently watch (or listen to on the radio) every stage. I have been doing this since I was very young because my dad used to watch it and I really started liking it. I don't just watch the TDF, but generally enjoy road-cycling. I love France, the atmosphere, the tactics involved but most of all I love the mountain stages. The images on tv are amazing and that is where most of the interesting stuff happens.

To be fair, I don't watch everything all the time, but I really enjoy doing some work/reading whilst the tv is on with the TDF in the background.

This year is an interesting one, a guy in the yellow jersey that not many people would have predicted before, a bunch of favorites that seem to match each other and no one who stands out completely. The Alps will be interesting I hope (the pyrenees weren't, because none of the favourites dared to go into full attack-mode, which I found a big shame).

I do miss the times where riders just went for it, less of a tactical looking-back&waiting game and just cyclists that went for the win!

I quite enjoy the TdF, I find the tactics and the interesting effect that rider's different goals have on the race to be fascinating.

And I am also really surprised to see Voeckler still in yellow. I don't think he'll keep it, but the fact that he got through the Pyrenes with it is already a victory.

Sent from my iPhone

I saw that when it was on TV and thought that was really impressive, no one else has seemed to be able to have matched that yet from what I've seen of the Tour.
    I love road cycling, grown up watching the TdF, actually managed to watch it when it came to the UK back in 2007.
    this year has been interesting so far, gutted for Bradley Wiggins crashing out but at least Cav is doing well so far.

I used to follow it quite a bit, but honestly, all the doping scandals really ruined it for me, especially after Floyd Landis' whole saga. I kinda gave up on it after that.

I've followed it for years thanks to my mother. She got us all into it. Every member of my family has a fantasy cycling team this year. I'm currently in second behind my dad.

I love the TdF, so far everything has been going well. Cavendish is kicking ass, Both Schleck's and Cadel are up top, and Contador is doing very poorly (whoo!). Now we just have to see if Voekler can keep this jersey. He surprises me every day. I'd like to see him at least on the podium.

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I used to follow it quite a bit, but honestly, all the doping scandals really ruined it for me, especially after Floyd Landis' whole saga. I kinda gave up on it after that.
    I honestly thought they'd end after that, but they keep happening. The only reason Alberto Contador is even in this race is because he put off the ruling for his doping judgement. It'll happen in August, and if he is found to have cheated than Andy Schleck won last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchThackery View Post
    I've followed it for years thanks to my mother. She got us all into it. Every member of my family has a fantasy cycling team this year. I'm currently in second behind my dad.
    That is SO cool!! Very nice and kind off jealous. I used to participate online in fantasy cycling, but forgot to do it this year. But to do it with the family sounds like a lot of fun! How extensive is it? Just the winner or jerseys, sprint points and everything?

I love the TdF, so far everything has been going well. Cavendish is kicking ass, Both Schleck's and Cadel are up top, and Contador is doing very poorly (whoo!). Now we just have to see if Voekler can keep this jersey. He surprises me every day. I'd like to see him at least on the podium.
    Voeckler himself says he'll lose it in the Alps, but he'll surely try. I believe he recently lost a TT to Evans by about 2 minutes something which is about the gap Evans is facing. I am not sure whether the Schleck's and Evans are up top, everyone seems to be able to follow everyone, none that jumps out. It does make it very exciting, it has been some years since no one was really much better than others. I sense you don't like Contador? but I agree, the whole Clenbuterol story sounds fishy. However, I am sure Schleck won't be nearly as happy with a TDF he won a year later than winning this one.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoD View Post
    That is SO cool!! Very nice and kind off jealous. I used to participate online in fantasy cycling, but forgot to do it this year. But to do it with the family sounds like a lot of fun! How extensive is it? Just the winner or jerseys, sprint points and everything?
    I wish, they do it by stage wins and give you points all the way to tenth or twentieth place. I've got Cavendish, Farrar, both Schlecks, and Cadel on my team. And then lots of small time guys cause I spent all my money on them.

I agree, I really hope Andy wins it this year. But I'd like to see Cadel Evans finally get a win. And yeah, I haven't liked Contador since he attacked for the yellow when he was supposed to be helping his teammate (Lance) keep it. It says something about someone if they've been on a different team every year. Almost the entire Astana team went with Lance to create Radioshack after that, even the coach. And now he's moved again. I doubt he's a very likeable person.

Quote Originally Posted by MarchThackery View Post
    I wish, they do it by stage wins and give you points all the way to tenth or twentieth place. I've got Cavendish, Farrar, both Schlecks, and Cadel on my team. And then lots of small time guys cause I spent all my money on them.

I agree, I really hope Andy wins it this year. But I'd like to see Cadel Evans finally get a win. And yeah, I haven't liked Contador since he attacked for the yellow when he was supposed to be helping his teammate (Lance) keep it. It says something about someone if they've been on a different team every year. Almost the entire Astana team went with Lance to create Radioshack after that, even the coach. And now he's moved again. I doubt he's a very likeable person.
    That is pretty cool too though and I guess it makes most sense. I like small-time guys, it is the most interesting, there are always a couple of them that seem to be in a lot of attacks. On the other hand, less fun if they get caught by the peleton close to the finish.

I guess I am hoping for Cadel Evans if he does something nice in the Alps. The problem is that for him, just following the Schlecks and not letting go is the better tactic; "let them do the work". I haven't liked Contador since he won the Tour because Rasmussen got kicked out. Before that whole scandal I liked Rasmussen and he was a very talented and fun guy to watch; that feeling changed since he got suspended, but the way Contador talked about him that time was not very respectful. Anyway, yesterday was a nice day of rest, we're on today (and the stage seems to go slightly up for most of the stage). And I am hoping for some epic mountain stages, they conditions are very poor, very cold and snowy up there (I heard 200 cyclists were taken off the Galibier due to snow and cold!)

Today Ryder Hesjedal was leading the race for a bit, and I really beleive that for the first time in my lifetime a Canadian would win a Tour de France stage win. Unfortunetly he ended up third, helping his teamate Thor Hushovd win the stage. Another day, perhaps.

In other news, Evans looks really strong this year, he might be heading for yellow in Paris.

Sent from my iPhone