Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important does someone have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Default How important does someone have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

What is the tipping point??

AmbezeSubHealth

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    What is the tipping point??
    Yea like some how the answer is something other than 42.

Good luck with that.

LittleDrummerGirl

(Wow... read the question wrong)

I don't think there's an exact tipping point. I think it also has to do with the murder method.

From what I've read murder is the killing of a lesser-known person, an average person. Assassination is the killing of a famous person usually to make a political statement. Here is the site that I found it on English : difference between assassinate and murder.

humm... so if a person is trying publicly to change society in some way..no matter how popular he/she is.. it would be considered an assassination? So if i am giving public speeches on why people should buy only organic and locally made diapers..instead of diapers from a big chain store..and the big chain store got pissed off and took me out..it would be considered an assassination???

Assasination is when a public figure gets murdered for something to do with his public life. If he's murdered in a domestic dispute or something private it's still considered murder. So the killer's motivation decides. At least that's the way I always understood it.

A homeless man can be assassinated, and a famous person can be murdered. Fame is a non-factor.

I suppose it would have to depend on how it's carried out. An assassination is a murder, and a murder can be an assassination.

The homeless man mentioned above can be assassinated, but the media would say he was murdered, instead of assassinated. Assassination brings in a large crowd, and they're not going to get that crowd if the assassination is about a homeless man. They'd call it a murder and get on with the next story.

A homeless man can be assassinated, and a famous person can be murdered. Fame is a non-factor.
    Maybe, I guess it is more what the media would say but then again media do apply rules of english into their reports (most of the time).

Here are some more sites:
    What is the difference between murder and assassination? - True Knowledge

Political murder | Reference.com

Thread Hey Reddit, what's the difference in assassination and murder? | Ask Reddit... | BoardReader

I asked my parents also and they seemed to support what I originally said as well.