AB/DLism in popular culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
WildThing121675 said:
I have an oldie but a goodie, from an old Nick show called Welcome Freshmen. In it, they showed one of the guys in a crib, wearing a diaper and crying. The room he was in, was called the Freshman Nap Center. LOL.

I thought I was the only person on earth that remembered that. ;) I wish I could find a clip of it somewhere.

Yeah I always avoid that part of monty python.. It kind of disturbs me to think of myself from that point of view. Glad I'm not the only person who thinks so.

In the book Thumbsucker by Walter Kirn

Not only does it revolve around a 14 year old boy who still sucks his thumb. But somewhere in the first chapter he talks about how careful he is to not slip up and become exposed in public where he says:

"This was a crippling ever present fear. Ned Lesser, a skin-and-bones foster child with digestive problems, had been hounded into switching school when our eight-grade class found out he wore diapers underneath his jeans. I expected similar bullying if I lowered my guard"

Ive always kinda wanted to read that book thumbsucker, i think i watched a part of the movie that was later made for it. Seemed pretty good for an indie film.

Baby Doll (1956)

It was a play by Tennessee Williams. Very good play later made into a movie that takes place in the deep south. It's about a child bride and two men that lust after her. Oh, have I mentioned she sleeps in a crib and sucks her thumb?

YouTube - Baby Doll - Trailer (1956)

Trailer that shows the scene she is in her crib.

0008539389252_100X100.jpg

Movie Poster

Dark Bringer said:
Did I mention The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker?
When you first meet the fish guy who fills in the map of the great sea, he says "Don't give me that face. It makes you look like you ought to be in diapers."

Interestingly, when the cel shaded toon Link from WW was first unveiled, many people who were pissed at the new look probably thought he looked young enough to be in diapers.

Speaking of the Wind Waker, the first time you return to Outset after your departure with Tetra, If you speak to the older of the two brothers, he will tell you that his little brother stopped wetting the bed while Link was away

I dunno if this qualifies but once I was in my Religion class the teacher though us about some Hindu gods, and one of them was Shiva the lord of destruction(or something like that) who you could pray to. He basicly comes to stir things up. But if he cant do the job he will call one of his wifes Khali wich is even more destructive than him. And once she starts some war dance she will not be able to stop herself so Shiva will get into an infant state of mind to make her calm down and let the mother instincts take over. Wich I found pretty funny since he is a grown up and all acting like an infant. Who knows maybe the god Shiva is an AB? :D

Reactions: babibear
Just found another one today. The latest MAD Magazine #499 April 2009, In the table of contents, Alfred E. Neuman's quote is:
"A Hybrid SUV is like an adult diaper. It doesn't solve any problems, just lets you feel better about the mess you've made."

lcrobh090311.gif

That explains that.

THats awsome. Where can I find more info about this? This could potentially explain a lot about the condition we all share.

Sorry, I was refering to the post about Shiva.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching CSI: NY last night and one of the guys that got killed was wearing a diaper

samwise said:
Sorry, I was refering to the post about Shiva.

Umm my post? :p

Well Im not sure it was my teacher that told me so I guess you could try and look it up in some history book about religion in India etc.

Though I wouldnt say this would explain why we are. I mean he only did it to calm down one of his many wife's and the only way was to act like an infant so instead of dancing around like a madwoman destroying things her maternal instinct. But if you want to believe that its some kind of answer to why we might have these feelings thats fine, what ever floats your boat.

Since there's no mention of her yet, I thought I'd mention another anime/manga example: Yaya Yuiki of Shugo Chara!. The series is magical girl-ish and the characters have "Guardian Characters" who represent who/what they wish to become. Yaya's is a baby named Pepe-chan. This is because she envies babies, such as her newborn brother, who can monopolize mom and dad even when they can't do anything for themselves. Her first stage of transformation sticks a bib on her and gives her a huge rattle to attack with. Full on magical transformation puts her into baby clothes.

Here's a short clip of "diaper time" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. There was more of it in the episode, and it ended with
Dennis and Dee being a part of "diaper time"
If you want to see the whole episode it's episode 8 of season 3, entitled "Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire".

Great show by the way. It's like Seinfeld, but funny.

PadDaBrat said:
Great show by the way. It's like Seinfeld, but funny.

I love that show.

That One Big Happy comic made me remember one. I doubt I could find the comic itself, however, Ruthie and her grandpa are walking down the street. Ruthie's feeling good because she's wearing her courage socks today and remarks that, should they fail, she's also got her special underpants.

GRANDPA: Courage underpants?
RUTHIE: No. Waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back