Page 1 of 108 123451121314151101 ... LastLast

Thread: AB/DLism in popular culture

Quote Originally Posted by TheLocalraccoon View Post
    Let's begin with the old classic: Baby Snatchers 0.o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CStfT8gCrjM
    Yet another example on how the world makes us look like freaks.

Anyone engaged in fetish activity looks freaky. These things always are better in the first person than the third person. I avoid mirrors, me. But many people like mentions in popular fiction. Especially in the old days when all of us thought we were alone... And mentions reassured us that we are not alone that if someone else thought of it then there must be others into it. Besides, it is ok to be able to laugh at oneself, at least to some extent...

Wait, I don't get it. It was a link to a monty python video. Oh well it was pretty funny!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLocalraccoon View Post
    Anyone engaged in fetish activity looks freaky. These things always are better in the first person than the third person. I avoid mirrors, me. But many people like mentions in popular fiction. Especially in the old days when all of us thought we were alone... And mentions reassured us that we are not alone that if someone else thought of it then there must be others into it. Besides, it is ok to be able to laugh at oneself, at least to some extent...
    You make some good points but alot of the *B/DL stuff I see isn't being true to what we are about.

There are only so many ways it will be portrayed in the media:
    1. documentary - which will either be some sensational tabloid thing or else some really dry academic thesis from sociology or psychology. The term "paraphillic infantilism" is a giveaway.
    2. parody
    3. straight - but this will be diaper ads, whether for kids or adults, or something on bedwetting or disability: which isn't "for fun." If the presence of diapers is treated as "no big thing" then that almost sensationalizes the issue.

I honestly don't know what a "sympathetic portrayal" would look like. Ideas, anyone? Examples?

EmeraldsAndLime

I've still yet to see a good or accurate depiction of diaper fetish in pop-culture. The one's I have see even freak me out a little. <_<

on oneof the episodes of "My Name is Earl" (I apologize for not knowing which at the moment) one of the main characters meets a guy at a bar. They wind up in a motell and he comes into the bedroom with a binky, bottle, and diaper. But then the woman says "I don't think this will work out.
    I remember now! Its the one where Joy is looking for a husband because she is single and pregnant.

One day this week (either Wednesday or Thursday) I was half-watching The View and they were talking about buses and planes and stuff and Whoopi said something along the lines of "You'd have to change my diaper!" which I just gaped at for about 3 mins before I laughed.

She said something like that for Comic Relief ('06 I think). At one point she came out wearing some kind of towel thing over her clothes, which looked like a humongous diaper. That was over a year ago, though.