Thread: Autism, Coming of age, and parents.

Default Autism, Coming of age, and parents.

some times my parents have the ability to just make me loose it. I mean its not like I dont know they care it just the things they do and say. to try and control every point of the childs aspects of life is just so umbearable. Sorry about the rant i just needed to vent. So today me and my mother are arguing where I go to college. while i want to stay here and go to a college here in N.C., but she wants me to go to a college upstate. While I tell her its not her choice to make but ultimately my own. she tells me she can because im still underage.so i tell her ill just wait till im 18. but then she pulls the biggest shocker of them all, she tell me that even after i become 18 she still in charge of me because of my autism. is there a way for me to (from a legal stand point) get around this

From my point of view, there should be no reason as to why you cannot care for yourself. If you can prove that you can be self-sufficient, then your mother would be lying to you bluffing. Claiming you to be unfit to make your own decisions would also greatly complicate your chances of going where she tells you to go.

However, if you do not have a job (and are therefore must live at home with her); you would be technically under her care.

I think what you need to do is have a serious discussion about why she wants you to go upstate, and you need to explain to her why you want to stay in the area. Although, she does have the final say where you go to college, she's paying for it. as for having power of attorney over you past age 18 she has to apply for that if you don't sign it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Entity View Post
    However, if you do not have a job (and are therefore must live at home with her); you would be technically under her care.
    I don't think your right on that. The TC can choose to be homeless, move in with friends or literary go anywhere he wants. Anyways if you mom doesn't let you go to the college of your choice as it should be. Then have her take you to court to get full power of attorney of you and watch her fail hard.

Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    some times my parents have the ability to just make me loose it. I mean its not like I dont know they care it just the things they do and say. to try and control every point of the childs aspects of life is just so umbearable. Sorry about the rant i just needed to vent. So today me and my mother are arguing where I go to college. while i want to stay here and go to a college here in N.C., but she wants me to go to a college upstate. While I tell her its not her choice to make but ultimately my own. she tells me she can because im still underage.so i tell her ill just wait till im 18. but then she pulls the biggest shocker of them all, she tell me that even after i become 18 she still in charge of me because of my autism. is there a way for me to (from a legal stand point) get around this
    *hugs* Meh... at the end of the day i dont really know much aboutt this kind of stuff but i do know that hugs make things easier to cope with so *interweb hugs* :3 I really do hope things work out but hmm... I think the best thing to do... because people say things just cause there mad. I think you should take some time to relax... and even if she said some bad things... give her a big hug too and say that u know shes just trying to do what she thinks is right but that you need to decide what u think is right in your heart n stuff... and make sure that u dont use a arguing voice but like a normal voice.

I'm guessing that your mom has a good reason for wanting you to go further away from home. She probably wants you to gain some independence and have the college experience that goes with that. The fact that you don't want to stray far from home most likely proves her point. I would give it a try and see how you make out. I'm sure this all centers around your autism. She wants you to become an independent person, able to live on your own, and this may be an important first step. Understand, I'm not trying to be negative toward you in this argument. I'm just reading in between the lines.

This is something you need to discuss calmly with her, and bring up what I've suggested, is it about gaining independence. When I went to college, I was only an hour away from home. I drove home every weekend for three years, but my senior year I didn't. Partly that was because I was working and it wasn't convenient, but I had gained my independence. For some, it's harder than others.