Thread: cloth diapers

Default cloth diapers

i'm new to the idea of cloth diapers and had a few questions.

do you wear just one diaper or more than one?

are there any that are pre-folded to wear?

how do you pu them ont if you don't have someone to put them on for you?

do you need plastic pants?

do you need safety pins?

Hopefully our resident cloth experts will reply to this thread as well as me... but I'll try to help where I can. There is a great article here that you might want to read too.

More diapers = greater thickeness, probably more absorbency too.

http://www.adultclothdiaper.com
    sells both prefolded and terry towels.

You put it on just like you would a disposable nappy really... fold, wrap, pin.

If you are planning on heavy wetting or messing, use plastic pants - unlike disposable, there's no layer between the absorbent material and your clothes. Plastic pants also help stop the diaper sagging.

Safety pins are needed for a diaper you fold yourself. The prefold ones usually have velcro or poppers.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by lilbro309 View Post
    i'm new to the idea of cloth diapers and had a few questions.

do you wear just one diaper or more than one?

are there any that are pre-folded to wear?

how do you pu them ont if you don't have someone to put them on for you?

do you need plastic pants?

do you need safety pins?
    Eeyore's hit the bullet points pretty well.

You can put on as few or as many layers as you like with cloth, especially varieties that do not already have a plastic cover. The more layers you add, the thicker and more absorbent the end product will be. Unlike disposables, more cloth directly means more capacity. The absorption time is more a function of the type of fabric, but it's quick enough that I've never leaked because of flooding.

There are flats (require folding), prefolds (flats with sewn-in soaker layers, still require some folding), contour (cut and shaped like disposables, no folding needed, and all-in-ones (contours with a waterproof outer and fasteners mated to the diaper). There are good sources on diaper folding, just google cloth diaper folding. There are different folds that you can try and find the one you like. Personally, I prefer flat diapers layered and folded in a kite fold.

As for how to put them on, it will somewhat vary depending upon the type of diaper, but the gist of it is similar to what you already know with disposables. Once you have the diaper folded and whatnot, you'll draw the front up between your legs, then you'll pull a side up. The big difference is if you're using a pinned variety, you'll have to pull the fabric taut, then push the pin through the side wing and into the front part, then pin it closed. Honestly, this is something that gets easier with practice, but the massive upside is that you can pin and repin as many times as you like to get it right. I like to use two pins per side for fit and to prevent a mishap if a pin pops open or something stupid.

And yeah, plastic pants are necessarily in most cases. Happily, they're pretty inexpensive and easy to put on.

And if you come up with any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Been stuck - cant stand blood. I use the Priva snap kind. Expensive but great fit and absorbancy. You can get by without plastic pants but I wouldn't. I even use plastic pants with disposables, no leaks and quiet. Don't pay more that $15 for a decent pair of plastic pants. The same company that makes Priva makes ones 3/$10 but I like the Salk brand more. Many places jack up the price for AB sites.

No matter what, if you wet into a cloth diaper, it gets wet on the outside. For that reason, you have to wear plastic pants. I think it's very easy. I buy the pre-fold night weight gauze, and they are quite thick. If you thought you were going to wet a great deal, you could double up, and man will you be bulky. As a matter of caution, cloth has its tipping point just like disposables. If you over saturate them, the extra pee goes into the plastic pants. It will almost always leak out, if you're lying down, sitting, and even standing.