Oh, hai thar! I go by Asher! You probably know me as that guy who will pop in on random threads (or make random ones every now and again) and post pictures that reflect my thoughts about the thread, such as this:
Some of you know me; most of you don’t. That’s okay. Over the past months (almost the past year!), I have been pretty much a shadow of what I once was on this site. I rarely post on the forums, and I’m never on IRC. I started out with high involvement in the forum at first, and then I grew kind of tired of it. Almost like a binge/purge cycle that we have all grown to love/hate about this aspect of our lives. With the nature of forums, this seems to be rather common - people come and go; new people join, old people leave. However, this community is simply too important to just let go. So here I am – still kickin’. Chilling in the shadows, planning carefully what my next move is going to be.
Before I continue, let me give you a quick background of me with some…
- I'm a Las Vegas native.
- I'm a history/trivia nut.
- I’m college student in Seattle studying Psychology and Political Science, and I’m also getting involved in education policy (I still have much to learn!).
- My long-term plan is to work in the field after I graduate (either in politics, business, writing, or some kind of the arts) and eventually get my Ph.D. in Political Theory and/or Communications/Journalism so that I can teach at a university.
- I’m a big fan of George Bernard Shaw, Hermann Hesse, Joseph Conrad, and Shakespeare.
- I’m a conventional hipster (its an oxymoron)! I wear hipster clothing, but I do my best to not adopt the “hipster” train of thought (being earnest is way better than being hip! )
- I’m a secular humanist.
- I have a fear of clowns.
- I meditate everyday.
- I’m an avid runner.
- I like dancing in the shower.
- I enjoy working with photography and writing (editing for both).
- I play a lot of instruments (guitar, bass, piano, drums, all kinds of percussion, a little saxaphone, some other woodwinds). I can also beatbox (but only averagely )!
- People say I look like a mix between Robert Downey Jr. and a young Kevin Spacey (weird mix!).
- Other people say I look like a koala!
- I am a puppeteer; one of my earlier dreams was to try out for Sesame Street!
- I eat one protein bar everyday (is there a possible correlation between this and meditating? :O )
- I have tremendous beard growing powers; I can grow a full one relatively quickly!
And of course a list of favorites:
- Favorite Food: Cous cous, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, cheese, more cheese, apples
- Favorite Movie: American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Fargo
- Favorite Band: Radiohead, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Phoenix, Wilco, The Bad Plus
- Favorite Animal: Pembroke Corgis (profile pic!), owls, meerkats, ferrets, dolphins!
- Favorite Book: Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad), The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver).
- Favorite Role Models: George Bernard Shaw, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr.
I want to end this with an apology. There are certain individuals who I feel I have wronged, and I want to apologize for my misbehaviors and mistakes. I also want to end this with a thank you: for those few I have talked to throughout my months of being behind the shadows (you know who you are), I want to thank you for being not just being wonderful members but also wonderful people. I also want to thank the staff for all that they do. You all do a fantastic job at what you do, and for that, I am thankful. There is no other community like this one. Nothing comes close. You have made this a one-of-a-kind site that can’t be beat.
I’ll see ya around.