Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Want A Little Respect

Default Just Want A Little Respect

I have been busting my butt working (stacking hay, all I can see, smell, taste is %^&*ing hay) for the past week, and my mom and dad want me to go to church with them tomorrow at 9am and their baptism afterwards.

I have told them I don't agree with their religion, but I respect their choice. I said I would go to their baptism, but my dad just keeps telling me I HAVE to go to the sermon.Their religion states that you have a choice to be a part of it on not, but my dad seems to disregard that when I bring it up.

I just them to respect my choice not to go, and to sleep in, go to their baptism, go to work, then cough up 2lbs of dust. Any suggestions much appreciated.

It sounds like it's time for a compromise, but they don't sound like the compromising type. Since one usually only gets baptized once as an adult, at least, you may just have to bite the bullet. I'm sure this is important to them, so just pretend that you're going to a big anniversary party for them. Try to be pleasant and be there for them. Maybe their hearts will be warmed (isn't that what the Bible says they should do) and treat you with a little more Christian compassion. If they don't, then remind them on Monday.

The thing is I want to sleep in past the sermon, go to their baptism and go. I have had hay fever for the past week and I feel and look like a pile of crap.

I understand them wanting you to go. It is a big deal to have your family there. Walking in, talking before the service, introducing folks to you, and attending service together.

If you were adamant about not going, my guess is that it would;

Start a fight that would ruin everyones morning and possibly spill over into other days, or

They would let the matter drop and go disappointed that their son didn't care enough to want to be there.

Respect is a two way street, they want you there, and you don't want to go.

I suppose it comes down to who blinks first, but that is a horrible model of respect.

Well we talked it out...Went over well, I got to sleep in. Drove 30mi to the baptism, wasn't too bad. If you're wondering about the religion the creators of South Park made a broadway play about it.

Haha...and won several Tony awards. Anyway, glad it worked out for you. I hope your hay fever get better. It's a miserable feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFurCat View Post
    Well we talked it out...Went over well, I got to sleep in. Drove 30mi to the baptism, wasn't too bad. If you're wondering about the religion the creators of South Park made a broadway play about it.
    oh dear. Don't let your parents throw away like 30% of their income or wear weird underwear. All because a guy said he had two gold tablets he could never show anyone else. I know what I would love to do in a mormon temple thouhg, it involes one of their grand pools and something dealing with number 2.

I didn't really mind the religion before but it was the deciding factor between the end of my relationship with my best friend during high school. That's when I became "Oh fuck nah" about that particularly religion. Go trough my old topics and you'll see what happened in detail.

that said if any missionaries for their church come by I am still polite to them. Since I know they likely had nothing to do with my friends change or his ending of our friendship. Though I do tell them about it now and tell them that's why I will never join, ever.

Littllefurcat,

You're 19 years old and a strong enough man to do hard farm work. Maybe it's time for you to move out of your parents' home and start life as an adult on your own.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    Littllefurcat,

You're 19 years old and a strong enough man to do hard farm work. Maybe it's time for you to move out of your parents' home and start life as an adult on your own.

Just something to think about.
    I have been thinking about that latley, don't have a license yet (washed my wallet with my only birth certificate). Farm work is only seasonal, can't really get an hourly job during the other three seasons. Only way I can get $$$ during that time is school loans, and I won't get an internship till I have all my credits (1-1 1/2 yrs). I have been wanting to get the hell out of here for too long.

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFurCat View Post
    My dad saw that. He told me about. It was hilarious!