Thread: SD card formatting

Default SD card formatting

Alright as some of you may or may not know, for a while now I've been wanting to get the homebrew channel onto my wii with my SD card.

Well today I FINALLY got a SD card to USB reader, which is pretty cool, but I think my camera randomly formatted my SD card to only really work with my camera, because when I put the software onto the SD card my wii DID NOT read it, then when I tried putting pictures onto my SD card, it freaked out and said the drive was protected, so I'm wondering, is there anyway to format my SD card back to the way it originally was?

EDIT: Alright I figured out something new. I searched harder to figure out how to format it and figured out how, but my SD card decided to write-protect itself so now I have no way of formating it, anyone know how to fix this?

2nd EDIT: Alright I figured out there is a switch on the SD card to make it write protected or not, well when I switch it to unlock it's still write protected, my Wii has been scratching up my SD card, and that's exactly where it scratches it up so could that be the problem?

Well, you could use windows tools to format it to a FAT file system. Its typically used the most portable flash media.

You can do this either by right clicking on the drive in windows and clicking format. Or if you can,, Go into the computer manager and check out what the disk management thinks of the Card.

But before you do anything, can you tell what format the card is in, and what software on the SD card did you put on it and How? I am slightly confused with the details.
    Can you take the pictures off the card and load them on the computer and put pictures on the card that the camera can see?

Also, what size is it? It could be possible that the Wii does not like the card. If i remember correctly, there is a stupid size limit for the cards.

The card is in FAT32, I am trying to put the Homebrew wii channel onto it, which is a Wii channel that can run stuff like linux, and play games, it's like the twilight hack without the twilight.

Alright so far I have figured out, I cannot delete anything off the card, and I can't copy anything to the card, I don't know if I can copy anything from the card let me see, yes I can.

It's a 2 gig which is the limit for the wii, but all SD cards no matter what their capacity is should be the same size.

I think it has something to do with the write-protection switch on the side of my SD card, even when I change it to unlocked it's still locked, I learned that putting tape over it should fix it too, but it didn't =/.

EDIT: the card has to be in FAT not FAT32 in order for homebrew to work btw.

2nd EDIT: I heard that once in a while a little switch wire thingy in the card reader will get locked so that you can't write, maybe that's what happened. If so then I eaither have to get a new one or I have to take it apart and fix it.

3rd EDIT: I learned that many people are having problems with the same card reader, so I will be returning it for another one tomorrow, this was a waste of about 2 hours trying to get it to work -,-.

Is it HD SD? I had the same problem, until I figured that almost every SD card of 4GB is formatted under a HD thing (I think that means High Density). Anyway, newest cameras support it, but a lot of phones, MP3 players and older readers won't work properly.

Scratches ususally don't harm the car to a point it can't be read, but make sure it still works. Also I've noticed card from Kingston require slightly more energy to function. ScanDisk is the best brand untill now. Buy a two to one tip ( =- ) USB cable and use two ports from your computer if it is a power issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Pup View Post
    Is it HD SD? I had the same problem, until I figured that almost every SD card of 4GB is formatted under a HD thing (I think that means High Density). Anyway, newest cameras support it, but a lot of phones, MP3 players and older readers won't work properly.

Scratches ususally don't harm the car to a point it can't be read, but make sure it still works. Also I've noticed card from Kingston require slightly more energy to function. ScanDisk is the best brand untill now. Buy a two to one tip ( =- ) USB cable and use two ports from your computer if it is a power issue.
    First of all the Wii can ONLY use 2 GB SD cards or less. so 128 MB to 2GB for a Wii system is fine. Anything over 2 GB is not.

As for what SD cards are called over 2 GB they are labeled as SDHC SD High Capacity. They are extremely useful for digital camcorders that write directly to SD cards since SD cards are a lot less easy to break then dvd's or tapes.
    ----------------
    Now playing: Hikaru Utada - Simple and Clean (Kingdom Hearts Japanese Version)
    via FoxyTunes