Thread: Shuttle Atlantis launch... anyone else watch?

Default Shuttle Atlantis launch... anyone else watch?

Anyone else watch the space shuttle launch today? I did when I got up today as I am a fan of the space shuttle... I remember the tragedy of the Challenger in '86 and the Columbia tragedy in '03.

I will miss catching the occasional 4am launch after work or if I couldn't sleep.

Sad to see the shuttle era end.

Saw it while I was working out today.

Anyways, I get to see it in person (In the Orphanage RolePlay) w00t!

I'm rather ambivalent. On the one hand, it's the end of an era, but on the other, the Shuttle was from the very outset, a bastardised compromise between conflicting civil and military requirements, and never really lived up to its billing. I can't help but think that NASA would have got a lot more done if they'd stuck with the Saturn I & V. The Shuttle itself may have been reuseable, but the sheer cost of refurbishing it after each launch negated any meaningful savings. Mass-produced Big Dumb Boosters would probably have been a better idea. It's certainly worked for the Russians.

yup i love watching it from my back yard here on the space coast. God speed atlantis

I watched it at work during lunch and it was a pretty good launch. Too bad it has to end and I will miss the Space Shuttle program and wish it wasn't being done away with.

It was a great moment in American history that I choose to celebrate hiking rather than in front of a TV.

Well, there goes any chance of them using a roller coaster as a escape craft from the launching platforms. I heard they were seriously looking into that as well.