Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making NTSC backup copies of PAL DVDs?

Default Making NTSC backup copies of PAL DVDs?

For the last several years, I owned a multi-region/multi-format DVD player, but it looks like it is going to bite the dust in the near future.

I still have a sizable collection of PAL DVDs, though, and I still am going to want to continue to watch them on my television one way or another.

So, does anybody here know if there is any freeware that would allow me to make NTSC backups of PAL DVDs?

Note that I do not condone piracy of any kind. I just want to make copies of DVDs I already own for my own personal use.

I believe that SmartRipper 2.41 may suffice. It's an old programme, but it works quite well. The difficulty is going to be getting hold of dual-layer discs to write to. They're not cheap.

I use DVDFab to rip DVD's then DVDShrink to make backups on blanks.

However DVDfab isn't freeware sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    I believe that SmartRipper 2.41 may suffice. It's an old programme, but it works quite well. The difficulty is going to be getting hold of dual-layer discs to write to. They're not cheap.
    Yeah, if it comes between getting dual-layer discs to make backups of all of my PAL DVD purchases and getting another multi-region/multi-format player, it really just might be cheaper to get another multi-region/multi-format player.

alu

10 good dual layer dvd's cost around 10-20 pounds. A mulit region player costs around 50 pounds. It realy depends on how many dvds you have

You will find that a large majority of commercially available DVD players can be made multi-region simply by doing some intense googling.
    They tend to have hidden menus accessible via specific key combinations that allow you to set them to region 0, thus eliminating region checks.
    Otherwise, most freeware DVD rippers will allow you to rip the contents region free, though some may require you to change the region of your drive first, using one of its 5 region changes.

Quote Originally Posted by alu View Post
    10 good dual layer dvd's cost around 10-20 pounds. A mulit region player costs around 50 pounds. It realy depends on how many dvds you have
    I own a rather obscene number of PAL DVDs (about 100 of them). It fits in well with the collection of over 1,000 NTSC DVDs I own, so there you have it.

For the record, I have not purchased a single DVD in the last year. I decided to watch everything I already purchased first, that will take a while.

Just... don't do that. I will be a reencode with a stupid framerate conversion (25 -> 23.97) which is a considerable hit on quality.

You're better off getting a new region free player. A simple PC hooked up to your television would do.

Quote Originally Posted by walex View Post
    Just... don't do that. I will be a reencode with a stupid framerate conversion (25 -> 23.97) which is a considerable hit on quality.

You're better off getting a new region free player. A simple PC hooked up to your television would do.
    I'm going to have to agree with this. I did some expermenting with PAL to NTSC a few years ago when I ended up with some PAL discs. The best quality I was able to get was still a little bit jittery due to the different frame rates. I can't remember what programs I tried, but I tested a few different ones.

I had a DVD player that recorded real time (like a VCR) on DVD-Rs at the time, so I connected my computer to the DVD recorder and recorded them in real time. Those turned out fine, but didn't have the menus, etc and took a fair bit of time to do.

In the end though, I just ended up buying a DVD player that played both PAL and NTSC. It was still region 1, but with a simple google I was able to change it to region 0, which is region free. Like walex mentioned though, hooking your computer to your TV will also work fine.

Thanks for the helpful advice, everybody.

I think this means it is time for me to invest in a new multi-region, multi-format player. That works better than setting a player's region to "0", as there are many R1 NTSC DVDs that are designed to not play under those conditions.