Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Newspaper 'News Of The World' to close amid hacking scandal

Default British Newspaper 'News Of The World' to close amid hacking scandal

Just to give a background on this, they had someone hack terrorism victims, a murdered 12 year old and celebrity's phones. Good riddance, for sure.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-14070733

-G

Good riddance to it. I can't believe how low some people can get to hack phones of families who have lost loved ones to terrorism or murder.

The worst thing for me is that nothing was done to stop it sooner, it's been going on for years.

-G

PS Come back to the 0-High School RP?

The only thing is there's already rumours that it will just be rebranded as a new paper from News International. Plus, not all the staff have been fired or reprimanded - so odds are it'll just happen again.

I wish I could trust anything I read in the news, but seeing as it's printed to make money, there's always an agenda...

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    The only thing is there's already rumours that it will just be rebranded as a new paper from News International. Plus, not all the staff have been fired or reprimanded - so odds are it'll just happen again.

I wish I could trust anything I read in the news, but seeing as it's printed to make money, there's always an agenda...
    While it most likely will get rebranded, the hacking won't happen again, especially with the impending arrest of Andy Coulson, who is currently in government - a government being badly damaged by this scandal.

-G

PS BBC is the state media after all so I doubt it'll be biased to be honest, considering it's Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by GabeIsWinning View Post
    While it most likely will get rebranded, the hacking won't happen again, especially with the impending arrest of Andy Coulson, who is currently in government - a government being badly damaged by this scandal.

-G
    Hopefully this thread will still exist in a few years so I can deliver an "I told you so"

But the optimist in me hopes you are right. It's a despicable thing to do, and should never have happened in the first place. I have to question how the mobile operators didn't put counter measures in the moment the first story appeared (years ago I think)...

Hopefully this thread will still exist in a few years so I can deliver an "I told you so"

But the optimist in me hopes you are right. It's a despicable thing to do, and should never have happened in the first place. I have to question how the mobile operators didn't put counter measures in the moment the first story appeared (years ago I think)...
    I don't think mobile operators could even if they wanted to, microwave radiation is easy to pick up/receive, whether that was how they did it though, I don't know.

-G

I don't think mobile operators could even if they wanted to, microwave radiation is easy to pick up/receive, whether that was how they did it though, I don't know.

-G
    As far as I'm aware, they didn't hijack calls. They hacked into mobile voice-mail boxes - every phone has a number that can be called from another phone to access your own voice-mail - it usually requires a pin code to access it - I assume either the pin code was set to default, or a very easy code to guess.

As far as I'm aware, they didn't hijack calls. They hacked into mobile voice-mail boxes - every phone has a number that can be called from another phone to access your own voice-mail - it usually requires a pin code to access it - I assume either the pin code was set to default, or a very easy code to guess.
    Mine doesn't have a pin code :/

-G

Mine doesn't have a pin code :/

-G
    Is that when dialing the external number, or from your handset? The pin is only on the external number (if you've set one up).

Tbh, "hacking" is probably a media buzzword here, I doubt there was much more to it other than what I've described.