Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux to use

Default Which Linux to use

While I was surfin the net for some info on linux I came across this link.

It about a 5-min test that ask you a few qustions and then it will tell you which ver. of linux that you may like.

I took the test and it recommend:

I'm going to install Debian on the system I have as soon as I can find some stupid SCSI drivers for this MoBo.

To be personally honest, every one gets those if you want a typical setup. I have used both OpenSuse and K/Ubuntu. They are both pretty good. I would let you try Opensuse first, comes with one the best installers ever made IMHO and comes with java/flash and Mp3 support. All the software you are bound to use is on the DVD. When you do go through Setup, I would recommend that you don't choise the new KDE 4, it was very very unstable for me and just kept crashing, even after the post-release patches.

Ubuntu is good, is that it also just works, but may require a little more effort to get things running, but since its so popular, googling any problem is bound to give you answers.

*hates KDE*

Either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE would be good for you, methinks. They both are easy on newcomers, they should help you get familiar with Linux.

I'd say kubuntu. I'm going to have to disagree with mm3. KDE rocks .

E17 | Gnome | Openbox | Blackbox | XFCE FTW!

I just really dislike KDE.... it's hideous!

KDE looks like Windows, which some people like, others hate, I would guess that most people who hate the Windows interface would also hate KDE.