Thread: Successful fan hardware hack on old Proliant server.

Default Successful fan hardware hack on old Proliant server.

This fix may work for many other Proliant servers.

I was able to successfully convince the hardware health monitor on my HP Proliant ML330 G3 that I had installed the proprietary HP CPU fan when I had not. The Proprietary CPU fan is often sold upwards of 120$. I made the system accept any fan. You will need to install the non-hp fan with a Molex to fan converter.

The fix is simple. Looking at the fan connecter with the tab on the bottom the pin numbers are 1, 2, 3, and 4 going left to right. Simply connect pin 1 to pin 2 then use a 27 Ohm 1/4 Watt resister to cconnect pin 2 to pin 3.
    That's it. I tested it on more then one machine and tested for a few hours to check for slow system damage over time.

Just remember with this fix you lose any real fan monitor. You can either simply let the thermal monitor be the remaining monitor to save your CPU from melt down or you can add a different fan monitor.

Who did what to a poodle on a mountainside with ping pong balls and whipped cream?

I thought that was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbezeSubHealth View Post
    I thought that was pretty clear.

It was clear. And I'm not trying to give you a hard time I just wonder how many people follow, and moreover how many people would benefit from working on old proprietary technology when most computer geeks would rather just buy the newest and best.

I'm not most computer geeks. A lot of great net tops can be built for next to nothing with the right know how. Sure latest and greatest is fun too but it's also expensive and not everyone wants to play Halo.

Thanks for the clarification.