Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh, darn...

Red face Oh, darn...

It's been a week since my 18th birthday and I'm still getting acclamated to considering myself 'an adult' but it dawned on me that, hey, I really am an adult now! Ah, what a double-edged sword that is. It all kind of struck me as I was glancing through the teen baby forums and thought, "Should I even be on here anymore?". Now I'm that much further away from my childhood and from being granted leniancy in the eyes of the law (going to have to be a law-abiding citizen now, darn lol). Conversely though, I've gained a bunch of freedom and can be all like "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!" lol.

Come to think of it, turning 18 is kind of like becoming a teenager all over again with more freedom and responsibility. You still have to wait until you're 21 to drink (at least in America). =P

LittleDrummerGirl

Don't think of it that way. Even when you're OVER 9000 years old (Yes I had to say it) you're still allowed on the TB forums. And either way, 18-21 is like a transition period. You're not really either, so consider yourself both.

The way I view it, being an "adult" is a state of mind more than an arbitrary age. These days a lot of people are still in school/being supported by parents/etc well into their mid 20's while others are out making a living at 16.

Whether you see "becoming an adult" as turning 18 (or 21, or 25, or whatever arbitrary cut-off you choose), or becoming self sustaining, or just deciding that you've reached a point of maturity where you no longer feel like a kid... I'd say don't deprive yourself of something you want to do because "you're an adult now and it's not adult like" ... life is way too short for that ;p

I didn't see graduation from HS as a big deal
    I didn't see turning 18 a big deal
    I see myself turning 20 this year and now it actually feels like I am getting older...

Quote Originally Posted by kwis View Post
    I didn't see graduation from HS as a big deal
    I didn't see turning 18 a big deal
    I see myself turning 20 this year and now it actually feels like I am getting older...
    I can relate to this.

When I was in the process of buying my first house I kinda had a (very rare for me) introspective moment where I kinda realized I was probably an adult. Before that I hadn't really given it much thought. At 18 I was still in school and living at home and as such still kinda felt like a kid. Everything else just kinda happened gradually... but until that point I hadn't really thought "hey, I'm an adult now!".

That's not to put down anyone who feels that at 17 years and 364 days they are a kid, and at 18 years they are an adult. Some people like or even need these distinct cut-off points and as I said in my earlier post it's really a mindset thing. If someone is deciding to enter into an adult mindset at the age of 18, then that probably makes them an adult in some sense regardless of anything else. As I also said earlier, life is short, enjoy it how you want!

I think when I was 18 I lived in both worlds. At times I did feel adult-like. I had my own car, and I was dating, being sexually active. I drank, and could hold my own at social gatherings. At the same time, I never really felt like a man, but more of a kid. I liked my kid persona. To this day, that kid still lives inside me.

Drinking is so overrated:P Don't sweat it dude. Being a Designated Driver then getting a DUI is better:P That's what I did to hang out with people. Many, many, many road trips with people that were wasted and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ziaperdiaper View Post
    Many, many, many road trips with people that were wasted and such.
    Ugh! I hate being around drunk people when I'm not plastered myself.

On that subject, while I agree it's not a good idea to go on drinking binges every weekend... getting completely hammered is just one of those things everyone needs to do at least once in life. It's just one of those experiences .. along with the always fun waking up, throwing up, and realizing that your _eyebrows_ hurt!

Ah, I'm not looking at this too unfavorably. There's two sides to everything so I'm simply acknowledging that it's a strange transition. I just figured it would spark an interesting conversation regarding the topic at hand. This wasn't really a thread which was lamenting over the losses of certain childhood things, but simply one that was analyzing when people truly feel like adults as opposed to when they are. I suppose I should've posted a question, and I suppose it's mostly been answered, but I'm open to other opinions.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post

On that subject, while I agree it's not a good idea to go on drinking binges every weekend... getting completely hammered is just one of those things everyone needs to do at least once in life. It's just one of those experiences .. along with the always fun waking up, throwing up, and realizing that your _eyebrows_ hurt!
    I'd watch out for saying that with the mods patrolling, but I agree... to an extent. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post

What? No, I don't think getting plastered will get you into some exclusive club, or somehow make you a cooler person.