Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining the Furry Community

Default Joining the Furry Community

Ok, so I joined FA the other day and I guess I'm a little worried as to how open the furry community is, I mean, it seems that most people who are furries have a lot of friends and/family in the fandom and I have none, I have no clue how accepting the whole group is to newcomers, is there anyone who knows if its all that hard to make friends in the furry community???

pce

Easy to make friends in the furry community? I think so, just don't be too pushy or an ass and you should be fine. Also, try not to be too shy. Talking to people, seeing who you like (you won't "click" with everyone) and keeping in touch is how you'll build friendships.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Easy to make friends in the furry community? I think so, just don't be too pushy or an ass and you should be fine. Also, try not to be too shy. Talking to people, seeing who you like (you won't "click" with everyone) and keeping in touch is how you'll build friendships.

Sent from my iPhone
    ..and this is why I'm not going to be a furry. All my worst traits summed up in one post. D:

A good way to start is with IRC. my parents and family know nothing about me being a furry, but I have a LOT of friends online. There's a lot of different characters online

My IRC Name: Tristen
    IRC server: irc.furnet.org
    Main channel: #age_play

I'm usually tristen at irc.furnet.org
    Some related channels are

Ageplay
    Age_play
    Furrydaycare
    Cubfurs
    Babyfurs
    Diaperfurs
    Diaperlovers

And there are various other channels too.

I've found the majority of of furs are open and accepting and some of the nicest and kindest like-minded people I know... Some of them are closer to me than my own family
    Last edited by Tristen; 03-Jul-2011 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post

Sent from my iPhone
    This.

Actually, this is good solid advice for building friendships in general. Furries are people, ABDLs are people, gamers are people, we're all people. Don't be a dick to them and chances are you'll get on with some of them. Don't sweat it, it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    This.

Actually, this is good solid advice for building friendships in general. Furries are people, ABDLs are people, gamers are people, we're all people. Don't be a dick to them and chances are you'll get on with some of them. Don't sweat it, it'll be fine.
    Really? In my experience, the best way to make friends in real life is to flex and be disrespectful to women.

Maybe people will grow out of it... but my dad is still like that, so maybe not. ._.

I've been a furry for awhile now, and the best advice I can give is to be yourself. The greatest weakness and strength of furries is that anyone can be a furry. You won't like everyone, but there will be some you will like and who will like you, just be honest and you should get along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Furries are people, ABDLs are people, gamers are people, we're all people. Don't be a dick to them and chances are you'll get on with some of them. Don't sweat it, it'll be fine.
    True, true.

Like other posters have said, I don't have any offline friends or family members who know of my furriness. This probably stems from the fact that I'm not into the scene enough to have a fursuit, attend fur cons, etc. (although any day I'll have a pair of fox jammies). However, I have made some fantastic furry friends on FA (and on ADISC as well...see my little bro ). Just take your time, keep cool and you'll find the connections you need.

And yes, above all, be yourself. If you present a facade in order to attract acquaintances, you'll get into situations that aren't 'you' and the connections you made will all be for naught.

Best of luck ^_^

Like most others have said; just be yourself

Furries do tend to be very open with each other but understandably it does take a while for new furries to crack their shells and gain the confidence to get involved more.
    As has been pointed out although there are a few anyway, try not to be abrasive. If you're friendly and accepting then people will reciprocate, the majority of us are involved for the fun and the friendships, it really is like one big family. Those furs who refer to each other as siblings, especially within the babyfur side of the community are more often than not just very close friends. Calling each other brothers, sisters etc is just a way of publicly announcing how close their friendship is.

Furries can be very opinionated, but in my experience (3 years out of the closet) its mostly just banter and should the need arise then most are happy to agree to disagree:
    we all have different opinions and tastes and there are more than enough of us that if you dont click socially with one fur or group of furs there are bound to be several more with whom you will get on.

TL: DR; don't be a jerk and don't take it too seriously and you'll have no problems fitting in

wow, thanks guys, I never expected this much input!