Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage...

Default Gay Marriage...

Ok, now I am bi/borderline gay. For some reason, I don't feel comfortable with gay marriage. I know this sounds weird, but it's like that Miss America contestant said a few years back, "I was raised that marriage is between a man and woman." Idk, I see that New York just passed the law, but I'm not happy about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go preach bible verses, or protest, but I just can't wrap my head around this. Giving equal rights= good, Calling it marriage= not so much. I don't know...

Marriage is a Religious Act so not feeling comfortable about it is normal.

In my opinion, the State should not even be involved as it is a regulation of religious freedom. But they are ... why?

Marriage Licenses = Revenue

However, could they not get the same revenue by charging the same fees for a Civil Union License?

Butterfly Mage

I'm gay and I'm married. In my religion (Wicca) there is nothing "wrong" or "weird" about two people of the same gender wishing to unite. It's the love that matters, not the body parts.

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the lack of brimstone and damnation towards homosexual marriage. However, I was personally raised to believe that marriage is a union between two lovers. I was always told it was between a man and a woman but I never really set that in concrete. That just seemed pointless to me.

But that all being said, I personally have a bias leaned towards male/female relationships because of my idea that a marriage should be used to make a family and you need to have both members of the opposing sex to create offspring.

Now granted, this is obviously not always the case. There are surrogate mothers, adoption, and various other methods used to procure a child. Then, there's also the argument that a family doesn't need children at all. Yet I am simply a traditional romantic that believes in the beautiful chaos that occurs when attracting opposites and the idea of maintaining a traditional family for the sake of giving your children a relatively normal environment to grow up in.

For those of you who read my last post in another thread and are wondering why I'm contradicting myself by saying first that I think normal is boring and then go on to say that I want my children to grow up normal, just hold up the lynching mob for a second. My personal belief is that when raising a family, it is the parents duty to give their child the best/safest/least stressful environment possible in order for them to succeed much easier. Generally, having a 'normal' family to grow up in allows that child a sense of security so they can focus on more important issues like school and what they plan to do in the future. There are exceptions to the rule, and some homosexual couples are probably better than most heterosexual ones, but I think the child deserves to not be put into a situation where they will deal with ridicule.

I see marriage as primarely a social/legal construct rather than a religious construct. But anyway, I don't really have a problem with gay marriage being legal - people get used to it and, once it's actually legal, and former opponents frankly seem to stop carring once it's legal (provided that churchs are not forced to observe them).

IMO gay marriage being legalized in most first world countries is inevitable and within a decade of it being legalize people will prettymuch invariably stop carring - for example, lets take Canada. In 1999, a majority Liberal parliment overwelmingly passed a motion defining marrige as "being between a man and a woman". In 2005, after quite a few court cases and a few years of public debate, a gender neutral definition of marriage is adopted by a minority Liberal government. In 2006, a minority Conservative government proposed a motion to re-open the same sex marriage debate - it was soundly defeated. And in early 2011, the delegates of the Conservative party voted to support gay marriage as party policy, such that in a stretch of 12 years Canada went from very little support for gay marriage to nearly unanimous support.

Just a protip: if you legalize same sex marriage, also legalize same sex divorce at the same time xD

Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    but I think the child deserves to not be put into a situation where they will deal with ridicule.
    Too bad my parents did not get the memo when they decided to send me to school D:
    Turns out being a keen male student is cause for ridicule in lower grades...

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    Marriage is a Religious Act so not feeling comfortable about it is normal.

In my opinion, the State should not even be involved as it is a regulation of religious freedom. But they are ... why?

Marriage Licenses = Revenue

However, could they not get the same revenue by charging the same fees for a Civil Union License?
    I absolutely agree with you that the state should not be in the marriage business. Further, I believe the state has absolutely no business sanctioning or giving benefits to or recognition of any relationship of any kind, period. It is not the state's place to approve or disapprove of how consenting adults choose to form their relationships and their households.

And ordinarily, revenue is a valid avenue to travel in these sorts of questions. But in this case, I don't thing the revenue is the big thing. Right-Wing Christianity has been trying to insert itself into politics for several decades now, and there has been a concerted effort from them to make laws reflect their peculiar view of the bible. Marriage equality, gambling, blue laws regarding alcohol sales, abortion laws, and the like are all religious types trying to make the law reflect their religion.

Notice that all the groups fighting marriage equality are either straight-out churches or are groups funded by religious groups. This is not a coincidence.

As for governmental recognition, if they're going to recognize some couples, they have to and should recognize all couples. Like I said, i don't like governmental recognition at all, but if they're going to do it, it should be equally accessible for all.

they should remove the legal benefits of marriage

then gay people can live together with the same benefits as a married couple

I can see valid arguments for creating incentives and legal protections for couples living together in a committed relationship. I disagree with the notion that the state has no place sanctioning relationships between couples because the many legal protections receive create a great deal of stability.

That said, I'd prefer a world in which the state only gave out civil unions, which had no religious connotations, to both straight and gay couples. France has it right, with "marriage" between two separate ceremonies, where you go to town hall to sign your civil paperwork and then go to a church to get "married". Unfortunately, in North America, we've made marriage into a legal construct, and in light of this, it is blatantly discriminatory not to extend the same rights and privileges to all couples straight or gay, and call it "marriage" in both cases, as anything else smacks of "separate but equal".

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    I can see valid arguments for creating incentives and legal protections for couples living together in a committed relationship. I disagree with the notion that the state has no place sanctioning relationships between couples because the many legal protections receive create a great deal of stability.

That said, I'd prefer a world in which the state only gave out civil unions, which had no religious connotations, to both straight and gay couples. France has it right, with "marriage" between two separate ceremonies, where you go to town hall to sign your civil paperwork and then go to a church to get "married". Unfortunately, in North America, we've made marriage into a legal construct, and in light of this, it is blatantly discriminatory not to extend the same rights and privileges to all couples straight or gay, and call it "marriage" in both cases, as anything else smacks of "separate but equal".
    What about polygamous relationships? Why should they get the short end of the stick in terms of governmentally-sanctioned benefits?

Butterfly Mage

The legal paperwork would be tricky for polygamy, but I have no substantial objections to polygamy so long as it's all adults involved and not one of those cult situations where children are married to old men.