Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There is a mouse in my dorm room....

Default There is a mouse in my dorm room....

I'm taking summer classes so that I can graduate on time in spite of changing majors once, but I'm staying at the dorms since they're more secure than apartments and I'm really still too immature to live on my own...

Anyway, I have a mouse infestation in my dorm room. I keep snacks around because I really don't want to go to the cafeteria for snacks... they are sealed up, except I had Dove chocolates with the little foil wrappers (key word being had) and the mice got into them, eating my chocolate. O.o There were little teeth marks. I have been hearing them for the past two weeks.

But the mice have gotten bold.

I was eating a granola bar, one of a twin pack and had the other sitting on my desk. The little teeny tiny mouse climbed up on my desk, while I was sitting there, trying to get to my granola bar.

I of course screamed like a three year old girl, stood on my chair, staring at it in absolute terror as it turned, fled and pooped- yes pooped on my desk. I scared the s#!t out of it quite literally. I cleaned up and threw away the food and stayed freaked out.

They must be starving during the summer or something with less people to mooch off of because they keep trying to mooch my food.

At any rate, long story short, there is currently a mouse inside my printer, hiding from me and in spite of printing a document it did not come out... I had planned on trapping it in a box that way I could move it and put it outside or something but it's still making little mousy noises over there. <.< I make noises ever so often to scare it into staying inside the printer.

I'd really like to be humane about this but I don't want to contract hantavirus or something... If I go to the RA she'll probably get the residence hall to call an exterminator... idk if other girls have complained or not... Maybe it's for the best for them to be exterminated. It feels like a health hazard.

...What do I do? It's probably a terrible terrible infestation because these are itsy bitsy baby mice and there was a larger mommy mouse and they are not afraid of people and it's kind of horrifying. =S Please help? Should I tell my RA? It's probably a health hazard. What if I'm the only one that keeps snacks? Surely not. I'm terrified of mice. What do I do?

Butterfly Mage

Are you allowed to keep a cat?

Butterfly Mage

Probably the best bet then is to keep your snacks in sealed containers. The mice will lose interest in your room if they can't get to your food.

Update: OMG I saw it. It poked it's head outside the printer. D: It's still in therrreeee.

The food is pretty sealed... well, the granola bars are in packages, and really everything is sealed. Should I put them in more sealed containers? I'm used to being able to put food in cabinets and not have a mouse issue. I've never lived in a place with mice running amok like this and it's really really disturbing. I'm used to living in the honors dorms which are far more pleasant but not open during the summer... My food is put away, but should I buy like rubbermaid bins or something to put the sealed packages in?

Butterfly Mage

Yes. Get plastic, airtight containers like Tupperware or equivalent. What you need is for rodents to not be able smell your food.

*sigh* I guess I'll have to go find plastic containers at the store tomorrow but it's REALLY gross that there are mice in this dorm. A mouse infestation. Who lives like that? O.o I don't know how students during the school year stand it I guess... I might complain. =s

Butterfly Mage

Once you get the food safely stored, you need to disinfect every single surface in your room. Mice are naturally incontinent and thus there is a lot of mouse pee in your room at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
    The food is pretty sealed... well, the granola bars are in packages, and really everything is sealed. Should I put them in more sealed containers? I'm used to being able to put food in cabinets and not have a mouse issue. I've never lived in a place with mice running amok like this and it's really really disturbing. I'm used to living in the honors dorms which are far more pleasant but not open during the summer... My food is put away, but should I buy like rubbermaid bins or something to put the sealed packages in?
    I would put all of the food in the cabinets, refrigerator, or other hard containers if I was you. Packages can deter roaches, but not mice. Mice can chew. And they can smell the food through the package.

Just be glad it's mice and not rats. I've had infestations of rats the size of drink bottles in my apartment. They ate through boxes and packages. They would wake me up in a panic in the middle of the night when they ran around in my apartment. I think they even chewed open my soda cans. When I put EVERYTHING edible or drinkable behind closed doors, then they began eating my furniture.

Make sure that you complain to your landlord (or RA?). As long as you have dirty neighbors causing the problem, then they'll be in your walls. As long as they're in your walls, they'll be getting into your living space one way or another. If you can find their holes, get them plugged. Look around cables and appliances that go through the walls; they can chew preexisting holes wider to get in.

I also suggest you get some traps put in your apartment ASAP. Use the dorm pest control service if you have one. That way, you can make them aware of the problem.

O.o That's DISGUSTING. And horrifying... D: Although that would explain the pooping when I scared it. >.< Ewwwww. College dorms shouldn't be like that. That's filthy. I did feel sorry for the mice but at this point, I kind of really want them exterminated. =( People shouldn't live in that kind of environment. I wonder if they have a problem year round and if so how people deal with it... I've never had mice at the other dorm and then at home my parents have always taken care of it very quickly the few times we've had mice so I really had no idea of what to do about this. They're so cute but yikes.

There are a lot of holes in the dorm room building. It's older.... I might just throw all of my food out for a bit. I needed to go on a diet anyway. I'll eat at the school cafeteria and not snack... Sooo gross.