Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage Legalized in New York

Default Gay Marriage Legalized in New York

New York governor signs law approving gay marriage - Yahoo! News

Whatever you do... don't read the comments. They're a cesspool of bigotry. Anyways, I would like to start a CIVIL discussion on this subject.

Keyword here is civil. if you're going to come in here with passages from the bible... just don't. I don't care. I know what the bible says and it also says don't judge thy neighbor. Keep that in mind when posting.

Edit: Kind of tired. Let me rephrase. Don't come in here throwing bible passages trying to insult people.
    Last edited by PrettyFox; 25-Jun-2011 at 06:40.

I am happy they passed gay marriage in New York. This is a step forward for gay rights and I believe its unfair for a couple who love each other very much and unable to get married because someone believes a passage from a book. I am not trying to bash Christians (I happen to be one) but I thought in America we were suppose to separate church and state.

Sorry for my grammar
    That is all

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
    New York governor signs law approving gay marriage - Yahoo! News

Whatever you do... don't read the comments. They're a cesspool of bigotry. Anyways, I would like to start a CIVIL discussion on this subject.

Keyword here is civil. if you're going to come in here with passages from the bible... just don't. I don't care. I know what the bible says and it also says don't judge thy neighbor. Keep that in mind when posting.
    I think here on adisc you can't tell people what not to say unless your a admin. Not to mention it's pretty clear anyone who doesn't support gay marriage is most likely doing from a religious stand point. If you can't deal with that and let people discuss that then aren't you really just fishing for a congratulations topic?

As i've said before. Once topics become nothing more then a echo camber, what's the use in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I think here on adisc you can't tell people what not to say unless your a admin. Not to mention it's pretty clear anyone who doesn't support gay marriage is most likely doing from a religious stand point. If you can't deal with that and let people discuss that then aren't you really just fishing for a congratulations topic?

As i've said before. Once topics become nothing more then a echo camber, what's the use in them?
    There are plenty of ways to have a civil discussion without outright saying "The bible says this blah- blah blah" There are plenty of people who have views of marriage that aren't religious. I guess I worded it incorrectly in what I was trying to say.

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Catface on Yahoo! News
    These comment sections are always a hoot to read. Stay classy, Yahoo.
    Hahaha.

I think it would be best if the government didn't give special privileges to married couples, whether they're heterosexual or homosexual. The institution of marriage gives benefits to heterosexual married couples (or, in some states like New York now, homosexual married couples as well). But what about non-married couples or singles? We don't get those benefits, and we are, in effect, being discriminated against, like how the gays were being discriminated against in New York up until now. The legal institution of marriage is just another way to give a certain group in society--in this case, heterosexual couples (or in some rare cases homosexual couples)--special privileges and benefits over others.

By the way, that whole argument that "the Bible says don't judge, so don't say anything mean about gay marriage!" is the biggest cop-out I've ever heard. The Bible doesn't say not to judge--it only says not to judge hypocritically: meaning if you're a sinner, don't lecture another sinner.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFox View Post
    There are plenty of ways to have a civil discussion without outright saying "The bible says this blah- blah blah" There are plenty of people who have views of marriage that aren't religious. I guess I worded it incorrectly in what I was trying to say.
    The way you put it it sounded like you'll try to neg rep/bash anyone that qoute's any passage from their religious book of choice. I know you said bible but I am willing to bet you also mean any religious scripture that proclaims gay is wrong. Personally I discussed it enough here on adisc and i'm sure other's feel the same way. Opinions have been changed slightly, if at all.

I heard about this news... I am so happy for New York! I really hope rest of the US states will follow the suit to legalize the gay marriage and be on par with Canadian freedom for gay people to marry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The way you put it it sounded like you'll try to neg rep/bash anyone that qoute's any passage from their religious book of choice. I know you said bible but I am willing to bet you also mean any religious scripture that proclaims gay is wrong. Personally I discussed it enough here on adisc and i'm sure other's feel the same way. Opinions have been changed slightly, if at all.
    Yeah.. I'm exhausted. I just didn't want people flaming others by using bible passages.

Wait what!!?!??!
    They JUST allowed gay marriage in NewYork.
    Wow... thats just, a little pathetic. I thought they changed that years and years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKittyKat View Post
    Wait what!!?!??!
    They JUST allowed gay marriage in NewYork.
    Wow... thats just, a little pathetic. I thought they changed that years and years ago.
    Sixth state lol