Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult high chair on a budget

BabyJayk

Default Adult high chair on a budget

So I want to know if anybody has ever found an adult high chair under $100 where can I look?

Found, probably not.

Pre-made adult baby furniture is insanely expensive.

On the plus side though... like most things, the large majority of the cost is labor. You can certainly buy all the materials for $100 or so. Or even buy a "normal" chair and modify it. Obviously not much help if you arn't handy.. but for what you'll pay for most adult baby furniture... you can probbaly pay to take a wood working class, buy all the tools and material, and still come out on top (ESPECIALLY if you want a crib... seriously.. $2000+ for at most $200 worth of wood).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Found, probably not.

Pre-made adult baby furniture is insanely expensive.

On the plus side though... like most things, the large majority of the cost is labor. You can certainly buy all the materials for $100 or so. Or even buy a "normal" chair and modify it. Obviously not much help if you arn't handy.. but for what you'll pay for most adult baby furniture... you can probbaly pay to take a wood working class, buy all the tools and material, and still come out on top (ESPECIALLY if you want a crib... seriously.. $2000+ for at most $200 worth of wood).
    Great advise and a good, working idea. Yes, if you bought a wooden chair that looked like it could convert to a high chair, then all you'd have to do is remove the legs and replace them with longer wooden legs. Then you'd have to build the tray and attach it using bolts, to the sides of the wooden chair.

We have a place in town called "The Wooden Chair" and they sell all kinds of unfinished wooden furniture. That's where you should start looking, at unfinished wooden furniture stores. Once your project is built, get some sandpaper, stain and varnish. I use rubbing varnish because it doesn't show brush marks.

dang i got to add on to my bis 2k for a wood crib i could make one badass crib CNCd from solid wood and metals even easier

BabyJayk

I like the conversion idea. I have already begun working on plans to convert a 4 poster bed into a very large crib. Thanks all!

I myself am fairly handy when it comes to furniture construction.
    So when i have the time, space and money for it i plan to make all sorts of ab furniture.
    You can find heaps of designing programs on the net (off the record ........piratebay!) or you can buy them at any computer store.
    Once you have your own plans for the furniture its easy to see how much timber you need then all you need to do is go buy it from a hardware store.
    If you have the tools that is, but these days all you really need is a drill set and a saw.
    Iif you do think about making your own you should look around the net for some tips on different jointing methods and advice on staining or painting.
    I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by slannen20 View Post
    all you really need is a drill set and a saw.
    And it should be a good saw. I know this isn't a wood working forum, but just feel I need to point that out. If you are going to invest in any kind of power tools, don't cheap out on the saw... you'll end up with something that doesn't cut quite straight and just frustrate the hell out of yourself! You can buy the cheap drill/driver and bits, you can even buy cheap blades for your saw, but do yourself a huge favor and spend some money on the saw itself!

(I'm not bitter or anything ;p)

Wow! Looking at the adult highchairs they look really uncomfortable and I think I will pass on them.

Over the past number of years I have been looking at baby highchairs for one I can use and be comfortable in. I have tried many and there are some good ones out there. The one that’s works for me is the GRACO Neat Seat.
    I have two of them. One that I use as my feeding and TV chair and one in my work shop I am sitting in it as this is put together.
    What I really like about it if something falls off the work bench the highchair tray caches it no more down on the floor to find the part.

Among the things added to make it better a foot rest and a five point harness. As I weigh 180 pounds the Neat Seat will do until something better comes along.

We are the wet ones.
    Resistance is futile.
    You will be diapered

Quote Originally Posted by bn3baby View Post
    Over the past number of years I have been looking at baby highchairs for one I can use and be comfortable in. I have tried many and there are some good ones out there. The one thatís works for me is the GRACO Neat Seat.
    I have two of them. One that I use as my feeding and TV chair and one in my work shop I am sitting in it as this is put together.
    What I really like about it if something falls off the work bench the highchair tray caches it no more down on the floor to find the part.

Among the things added to make it better a foot rest and a five point harness. As I weigh 180 pounds the Neat Seat will do until something better comes along.
    Now you're talking!!!

If you have a small enough rump size to fit in one, a real baby high chair is great! The more vintage chairs like this - Vintage COSCO Chrome & Brown High Chair | eBay or this Vintage Graco High Chair HighChair Seat Baby Toddler | eBay are really comfy, and the open space under the tray support arms allow for a teen/adult with hips a bit wider than the seat to still fit into it comfortably.

~Pramrider