Thread: Looking for Artwork Tips

Default Looking for Artwork Tips

I've seen a lot of very good Babyfur artwork around. But I'm the kind of person who has to draw my own, so that it's "mine". So, I'm trying to learn to draw. I'm having a lot of difficulty with it. This is not my first time trying to learn. I've had art classes in the past but I've been frustrated by drawing apples and streets and other things that don't interest me.

I'm decent at drawing objects like appliances, buildings, and vehicles. I can draw things that have hard angles and obvious lines. But I've never been much good at drawing people or clothing or anything else that doesn't have clear symmetry.

I can reproduce artwork by hand if I have a picture in front of me. I do it by breaking the picture down into simple shapes and noting where each shape is positioned relative to the other shapes. But I know this is the "wrong way" to draw. And if I try to draw something original on a blank slate I don't even know where to start.

I know that there are tons of art books around and I know that there are art websites too. But I get bored and frustrated with drawing things and using styles that don't interest me.

So, if anyone has any tips about what books to buy or where to look for answers, or anything else, please tell.

Not to be rude, but you might try posting this in the Furry section, or the Off Topic section, since this really has nothing to do with being an adult baby. ^_^ With that being said, you could go to your local library and check out a book there about art/drawing/technique.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a good one if you just want to draw accurately.

Basically in drawing humans, it's kind of exactly like drawing the stupid apples. Don't look at them as human. Measure measure and measure some more- you don't have to literally measure, but if you're doing a person, figure out how many heads they are tall, what falls at each level. Then also figure out what angle arms and whatnot go at. Measure with the eye for the facial proportions. If you want to be a good artist, then you draw the boring things in the realistic style. However, you can merely copy images and get really darned good at it- but you'll never gain enough skill to be able to make a furry in a diaper with their mom holding them the exact way you want it- because you'll be relying on other images, yeah?

I mean, you still have to use references but you can guess at stuff.
    Proof I know what I'm talking about:
    I put a bird's nest in a skeleton with a person inside of it. Many references from my own photographs. Some of the stuff is without reference really.

And you DO draw by noting simple shapes and where they're positioned next to other shapes- just be more conscious of the angle of things next to other things. Be aware of all of this, and try to get a general gist of everything before breaking down the smaller pieces. Drawing isn't magic, I promise. It just takes lots of practice that is based on actual knowledge of what to do to draw well. Always start with something, an idea, then find a reference of some sort and make something original. There are lots and lots of little tricks but you'll get the hang of it. Draw the boring stuff- and make it interesting. Still life? Do pacifiers and teddy bears. People? Find a picture of a rabbit and morph them into a realistic furry.

Draw for several hours a day using real life things as a reference. Using photos is fine. If you don't find drawing apples interesting then draw bananas, or anything that interests you - as long as pencil is meeting paper you're improving :P

Thanks for the advice. I used to doodle a lot in school when I was younger. From what I remember, you just sort of "get it" after awhile. I actually made some fairly good doodles from time to time.

I think some kind of resource for "cartooning" might help me learn some kind of proper form. My major difficulties seem to lie in visualizing what I want to draw. I get an idea of what I want to draw, but I can't visualize the details to the point where I can put pencil to paper with confidence. Sometimes I just start scratching lines until I sculpt and object out of them. That doesn't work very well for things like faces, though.

I've seen a lot of drawing tutorials. But what many of them only show the artist drawing. They don't explain what the artist is thinking or how they are planning.

I see that a lot of people here display artwork (although I assume most of the artwork is done on commission by a few artists). I was hoping someone might have some specific suggestions for good resources or literature.

Mostly drawing out of your head really does take tons and tons of practice... It comes naturally once you've been in art school for three years ^.^; but it's still something that is difficult to do, so I'll try to find references even if I can draw really nice looking women out of my head. Most cartoonists do understand and have gone through a lot of the training traditional artists go through, so I wouldn't dismiss that. And faces? Easiest way to draw a face really is measurement. You can make a face up if you know that the eyes go around the middle (in a round face the exact middle, a forehead heavy face has a bit more forehead, or it might have more jaw/be an oblong shaped face) and then the nose is 2-3 1/2 eyes down (well, realistic eyes. Would be smaller for most cartoon eyes). There's about an eye down to the lips... You draw with measurement. Once you understand how faces are put together you really can make up even realistic ones and change the facial features accordingly.

I think once you get to the point you realize it's not just visualizing- some of it is, but most of it is measurement. It's gestures, angles, and measurement. But I'm really not talking complicated math. You get to the point that you can eyeball it or do it fairly effortlessly, but first you have to practice measurement. Get really familiar with how humans are put together.

You can just rely on cartoonist books I presume, but a good cartoonist would be a good artist in general and be familiar enough with traditional drawing to be able to do that reasonably well. Speeds up the cartooning process. Anyone that I know that draws really good cartoon figures is also a fairly good traditional artist.

Again, I'd read "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and work book or other traditional drawing books. (Heck, don't buy them, just read what's on the look inside preview on Amazon and do a few of the exercises. I've done that with other books.) Alternatively if you really want a cartooning book I'd try "Everything You Wanted to Know about Cartooning but Were Afraid to Draw."

But really it genuinely is about measurement. Once you understand measurement and look for angles in the world around you, how things connect to other things and stuff like that, you won't have to "sculpt" out of lines on the paper until you get something right. You won't have to erase over and over again. You can draw ink pen straight to paper and get something that looks close enough that a non-artist won't realize it's wrong or off or "bad." It will probably take 2-4 years to get to that point depending on how much you practice, how well you understand that that's what you have to do etc- but your drawing will improve.

Thanks for the detailed pointers Starbright. I do understand the importance of learning proper techniques. I have read a bit about measuring out body size by head height (I think an adult stands about seven heads high).

I think ignorance of technique, along with my lack of dogged determination, has been what holds me back. I'll look into those books you mentioned. I know I won't be able to put in the amount of time or effort a professional artist can. But maybe I can achieve competence, if not excellence.