Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux vs Windows

Default Linux vs Windows

Is Linux better than windows to you. My fav ver. of Linux is Kubuntu. I was useing it on a friends laptop and it was like super fast and work with the computer built in Wi-Fi. I am getting ready to put it on my laptop.

If Linux is you fav OS, which one is.

And if Windows is your fav. OS which ver. of windows is your fav

I prefer Windows. Why, It works. I can get the software I want for it. I can get it to work. I can download the appropriate drivers and get my hardware to work the way it should. I can do this easily as I have been using window systems for years.

As for linux, Over time, it has gotten better. But I still find a few things a pain in the ass to setup. I am trying to get Tor to work on it. Have fun. Setting up a Java runtime enviroment? Still haven't cracked that yet. Want to set up your sound card like on winds, A bit patchy at best.

Its getting better over time, But still not a very enjoyable experience bumping it to this many challenges. Also, my Linux skills are lacking. Want to automount a Samba share everytime I login? How do you do that? How do you set up the firewall to let some stupid application work?

Yes its customisable, but each distro is very similar, yet very different. Its too difficult to track the differences to me. But Soon, I might just set up a Debian Linux server in vmware to play about with as a Server.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    I prefer Windows. Why, It works. I can get the software I want for it. I can get it to work. I can download the appropriate drivers and get my hardware to work the way it should. I can do this easily as I have been using window systems for years.
    Switch "Windows" to "Linux" and that about says it for me. Except for the downloading drivers part. I don't usually need to do that as they come bundled as kernel modules.

As for a favorite.. I think kubuntu is also my favorite right now. Though, I really do love Slackware. I just don't have the patience to stay up to date with software on it anymore. I run Arch on my laptop, and Gentoo at school, and RHEL at work.

All in all, I find many less random problems, and systems do not tend to degrade or pick up cruft like Windows has in my experience. In the past few years the only thing I've ever had not work out-of-the-box on a Linux install is my wireless. And, this is not Linux's fault; it's Broadcom's (I'll spare you the technical explanation, unless you really want it).

And of course, you have gobs and gobs of free software. Free software that can do most of the same things that people pay a premium for on other systems.

And before you jump on me, "but what about games!?!?" Honestly, I'm not a big gamer. I'm just not. I enjoy the occasional emulator or console game, but that's it. I do enjoy sometimes Yahoo! games etc, but this works just fine for me.

I never used Linux yet but I am a PC gamer so I have to keep windows anyway. Right now I like XP the most, I tried Vista and I really liked it but I think some of my software won't be compatible with it right now.

Windows, because it's much easier to use and get software and hardware that supports it. I'm used to it anyway.

As for the version, I prefer Windows 95/98. They're easy to use and have a simple look. If they supported the latest software, I'd use one of them.

You know, 95/98 interface wasn't bad.. but man.. the stability was terrible. Back then it was just like an accepted fact that you had to shut your computer down every day .

Also, on a technical note, these OS's do not make use of hardware protection rings provided by x86 processors. This is a serious security and stability problem. Luckily, this branch of windows died and was replaced by the NT branch. That's just from a technical perspective. The user interface was fine.

^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(computer_security)
    Last edited by chevre; 30-Jul-2008 at 11:23. Reason: added link

I do love linux. My favorite? Ubuntu and Fedora. OpenSUSE is also up there. (I hate KDE, so Kubuntu is very low).

I do love Windows. Yeah, you heard. I probably wouldn't be able to get by without it.

I'm also a Mac user, so I run OS X Leopard.

I must say that I feel complete using the three of each world. If someone took one of them out of the equation, idk what I would do!

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    You know, 95/98 interface wasn't bad.. but man.. the stability was terrible. Back then it was just like an accepted fact that you had to shut your computer down every day .
    At least it didn't take an hour to turn it on.

I'd like to use Linux (for aesthetic reasons), but I don't know how to use it. So I'm stuck with this sucky Windows Vista. I don't game, so if I get rid of it, no loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSunDS View Post
    At least it didn't take an hour to turn it on.
    My Vista PC goes from off to desktop is about 14 seconds.