Thread: Making cloth diapers?

Default Making cloth diapers?

Hello people, I was wondering if anyone has actually made a cloth diaper before. I was thinking about buying, but I can't really, cause I am living at home still. Also I just want to make one myself hehe^ ^ but have no Idea where to start, I have seen a video or two on how to make one for an actual baby, but Id need to scale it higher and do all this other junk, not to mention I do not know how to use a sewing machine! So I am wondering if there is anyone who has ever successfully made one or has any tips/ideas they can give me for doing this, would be much appreciated! Thank you.

The only person I knew who did this successfully obtained a commerially made adult cloth diaper and copied it, but found it was very dififcult to get hold of the right kind of material - not everything that looks like diaper material works well.

Improvising with towels ant old tee shirt material might partially work, but won't be like the real thing.

Well there's an article about how to make makeshifts out of towels but that's all I got.
    There's the link if it helps.
    *yawning* Alright this is mah last post till morning (its 2:30am here) I'm really tired, goodnight pplz on the Internet!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...z

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

if a flat, single layer is what you want, it is not difficult at all.
    I use 3 yards of diaper flannel in each of mine. It runs 27" wide usually.
    Cut at 1.5 yards then sew the two halves side by side.
    This makes a 54" square which, folded kite style, will fit almost anyone.
    I am a 38" waist and it has plenty. GF is larger and it adjusts.
    Fold it 'kite style' like in the OLD DAYS and you are styling

Just a thought, but maybe you could obtain a rough pattern from tracing a disposable diaper onto the piece of fabric. Then you would just need to cut out a couple of those from an absorbent material, sew them all together, maybe add some elastic in the back to make it fit more snugly, and add some Velcro on the front and wings of the diaper. Or you could use diaper pins instead of Velcro. I guess that's just a personal preference.

I'm currently writing a how-to article on this very topic that has a great amount of pictures detailing the process. Look for it in the articles section in the next few weeks.

Yes I made several prefolds and they work wonderful.

Go to adult cloth diaper company and look under their prefolds. You will see their dimensinos. Steal the dimmensions for your size and than make it, oh and remember your going to get 10 percent or so shrinkage when you dry em.